Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Reports

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by mrmallerd, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

....and I'm sure the other major staging grounds will look about the same for snow geese... They came here as usual, and left as usual, but I was referring mainly to the mallard population. I know that the PPR had record hatches, but north of there, where I am , and further north in the boreal, the production seems to have been a bust. Even where I am, and further south, these are the so-called "northern " birds that we all wait for, but I haven't seen . I was hoping that this weather would be pushing birds in, but with the marshes tightening up, they should be easier to find on the big open lakes and deeper marshes, but my scouting has not found anything of significance, and I have travelled from here to Swan River, into SK over to Kamsack and Canora, down to Yorkton, up and across to Rhein, back up on the west side of the ducks, across from Hudson Bay SK across to Barrows, then back up. 800+ km with careful glassing of horizon, fields and water. I certainly may have missed some big groups, but you would think I would see some birds, especially early in the morning and late in the evening.

I can only give my own anecdotal evidence, but I would estimate that the mallards in, and through my area this season were down 90% or higher. I hunt and scout a lot, and I am not trying to be alarmist, rather I am curious as to why?

2. tealdog

tealdog Senior Refuge Member

Wish I knew how to post picks . I had a total differnt expierane lots of ducks but time will tell

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Not a good reader are you!:doh I said the main push would be found south and west of Brandon. Guess where southern SK is .....oh you guessed it SW of Brandon. The birds are exactly we're all of us have said they are in the southern portion Saskatchewan and far southwestern Manitoba pushing at this point well into North Dakota!

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

One thing I have noticed with our bigger flocks of mallards is a very high percentage of green heads. Most years the only time you see it like this is when the late bachelor drakes come down from molting. By the looks of it I think many of them stayed south and molted on all the sheet water this summer. Seen this before especially with resident Canada geese so there is some precedence for it.

5. bang you'r dead

I guess I have to go further west. Good reports of birds in SW saskatchewan, with record numbers reported in some areas. This year missed us I guess. It teaches me not be complacent, and to hunt more when the opportunity arises. I always wait for the nicer "northern" birds in late fall for plucking for the freezer, and the earlier birds , I breast out for the smoker. Next year, I think I'll be plucking some of the earlier birds, just in case. I also won't wait for the birds to come. I'll hunt heavier the first month, and then play it by ear for the second month. If the bird numbers are good, then I guess I'll shoot more than average.

6. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Come south bang, still good numbers of mallards in southern Manitoba!

7. bang you'r dead

I might just take you up on that. Are you hunting the area where you need a key to get through the gate ? My BIL has a key and we are thinking about next weekend, if he doesn't get buck fever between now and then. It is still quite warm and no frost this morning. Some of the sloughs have opened up, but I haven't seen more than 10 birds in the last week. :cry

It sucks to be me. Maybe an Argentina trip to make me feel better next summer.

I can moan and groan, but I still ended up shooting between two and three cases of shells in about 6 weeks, so not as bad as I am making it out to be. Thank goodness for some good snows this season, or it may have been my worst ever.

Had drinks with the DU regional biologist (boreal) and we discussed the mallard situation, and he says the aerial counts were good, and he still thinks there are birds to the north of us. I am skeptical, but will watch and scout around the next week or so before we freeze out.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Hey bang,

From the looks of the weather things are going to be cooling off shortly and the water will start to get hard this coming weekend. There are still good numbers of birds around, but how long they will stick around is really up in the air at this point. Tons of geese in the city from what I hear.

Not sure what you mean about needing a key to get through a gate though!

9. bang you'r dead

Gate to the old duck club. Leads up to the lake off the reserve. I won't mention the name, but its my old stomping grounds on the east side of the marsh. It's been a few years, but it is a great area to hunt.

10. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I have read there are still good numbers around Selkirk....