Restoring a wood-barrel Big River Game Call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by R.K., Aug 13, 2017.

1. R.K.

R.K. New Member

I have an old walnut (I think) call from Big River Game Calls that I pulled out of a box, but it's seen better days. The finish is in rough shape in spots, the wood grain is starting to pop out a bit (not lifting splinters), and it looks like there could be some water damage in places. It sounds great, and I love the look of it, but it needs some help.

That being said- how can I keep the condition from getting any worse? I'm thinking a light sanding (inside and out), replacing the o-ring, and putting a few coats of polyurethane (or something) on it. But should I coat it inside and out? Just the outside? And what finish or other clearcoat should I use?

-Rob

2. R.K.

R.K. New Member

Some pictures.

Attached Files:

3. Sandy River

Sandy River New Member

Doesn't look that bad. If its not broken why fit it.
    The call value would be less if refinished.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

It's a $25 call, use it till it dies and buy another one off of eBay for $15. :yes:tu

5. R.K.

R.K. New Member

Thanks for the leads. Not interested in selling it ever, hadn't been able to find another one in years past. Just looked and found one match for $20- it might be on it's way tomorrow.

It is the call I grab when migrators are a mile high and looking tired. It's loud- really, really loud. Plus it's one of my dad's old calls, so there's a bit more to this than "use it til it dies and chuck it." I'd like to keep it around in decent condition as long as I can.

6. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

BR used a marine finish,,, i think it was spar or sumpin like that,,,, you can lightly sand it off, you will prolly lose the sticker, dunno where you can find one of them,,,, you can give it 2-3 coats of a good polyurathane and it will last ya quite awhile

7. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Only do the outside, leave the inside rough. I use only Briwax on my wooden calls. Gives the call that deep luster wood look. Have used on it tables and other furniture. I even used it on a few gun stocks.
    You can even use it over the finish that is already on the call.

It says only interior use only. I called and ask them about using it on calls and they it would be ok for that purpose. Current calls have the same coat I put on about 6 years ago.

8. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'd leave it as is and enjoy the history and each ding in it. Each ding represents a moment in your family history....cherish and respect each of them

Stump

GK1 and brentbullets like this.
  9. darealdeal

darealdeal New Member

I agree with Stump on this. Let that be a shelf queen and enjoy the memories.

10. kellys

kellys Elite Refuge Member

Give it a good soaking in boiled linseed oil for a few hours, Like maybe 24, Be sure you've taken it apart. hang the parts on a wire to drip dry, Buff with a soft cloth and your good to go for another 25-30years