Results so far???

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Waterproof, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Renegade

Renegade Senior Refuge Member

As always we had an excellent time. No anti's thank God....
    My dog continues to amaze me with her skill :sp :eek: :sp
    and we killed a few ducks. No opps on geese unless you count the pair that flew over at 30 yds after we picked up. Foldem is still pizzed at that one...:mad: :l

Here is a pic of Saturdays birds.... We got the same on Sunday too... Mallards, Widgeon, Pintail, Blue and Green Wing Teal

[​IMG]

2. Gander D. Bander

Gander D. Bander Elite Refuge Member

That field you got a picture of is at 75th and St Vrain. disced corn and alfalfa to the west. I hunt the sod. I could hear you guys bangin on um on sunday. We only got one flock in on us. thats a good field you guys got. We are the only ones that decoy the sod the oter guy is a neighbor and shoot pass as they come off that lake at 65th and Nelson. We will definitly hook up this year I got alot of spots around, several west of longmont but the majority is east. That field will be reallly good come januray when they roost on those open space lakes to the north and east!!
    Would love to hook up this weekend but we are going to Canada for 10 days leaving on Friday. We'll hook up later.

3. meatcaller

meatcaller Senior Refuge Member

Gander,
    My mistake. You are right, had a brain fart. And my field is only good in the later months if somebody is scaring those birds off the sod farm. They jump from that res. on nelson to the sod all winter. But if those guys are out at the sod farm and we are at my field, we can get some really good shooting. I got a couple other fields up 75th and my buddy owns the corn adjacent to pela crossing. But I'm sure I could arrange you getting out there also. I got a pond on the other side of Highway 66 that we hammered mallards on during that really cold week we had mid year. Are you the owner out at the sod? Because I was turned down last year because he said the neighbors were complaining. For about a month straight that field held about 1000 geese, you should have murdered them!?! Have fun and bring me back a couple bands and some pictures when we meet up. Best wishes.
    Jonathan

4. Gander D. Bander

Gander D. Bander Elite Refuge Member

Well I gotta inside track to the sod farm, No I am not the owner. I just asked him he was fine with it but I work for the water district here..most everyone knows me in the area so I can get on easier than most people. thats where we had the run in with the ANTI on sunday...next time I am just gonna call the law. Don't worry about those birds using the sod as much this year. thats part of it, he is tired of them tearing holes in it. I have tried to find the owner of that field you guys hunt both last year and this year. finally gave up, I knew someone hunted it some last year with a big *** haybale blind out in the middle. You guys had the X up there and the other was just north of that open space lake on Niwot and 75th south of us we had birds back and fourth all morning we saw one flock you guys had shot that a birds primary feathers on his wings were totalled :l Where do you work at or live? I have seen you some place before. DO you know Duane Cushman or his son?

5. RETREVR

RETREVR Senior Refuge Member

IF there is anything more exciting than having birds in the decoys.........
    It has to be having birds in the decoys during shooting time.

I had to sneek up to my dekes in the morning because they were full of birds. Then I sat and watched them for the fifteen minutes before shooting time. I thought by dawg was going to burst her eyballs. My dekes looked like a walmart parking lot. At 6:30 they just slowly swam away. I know I wasn't scaring anything because the Blue Herrons kept landing right next to me.

I stopped and talked to some pronghorn hunters by a pond. I left and got on a county road and spotted a couple teal on a pond. I pulled over and did a commando roll under the fence and snuck them. They got up and flew to my left...BOOM, BOOM....$h!t

I look up and see the prong horn hunters by the other pond shaking their heads. They had seen the whole lousy display of shooting.
    I knew I hit one, if not both of the birds. I look to see if they are going to the pond across the road. They dipped down out of sight and then only one reappeared to make it to the pond.
    The warden told me I had to have the county commisioners permision to hunt the pond across the road, but retrieving game is another thing.
    I put my gun in the truck and took the dog over. There is about 40 acres that this bird could have landed in and neither of us marked it. There is so much cactus that my dog is quartering like a cat wearing socks.
    I smoke and let her work the field. She stopped, pulled her head up and took some wind. She ran about 40 yards and picked up the crip and brought it in.
    I looked back at the pond and the pronghorn hunters were really shaking their heads now.

That is almost as good as the scaup I shot last year and found dead, lying in the road, 2 sections away from where it was shot.

I need to start using heavyshot or something.

6. donutshell

donutshell Refuge Member

Had a great start on saturday, 2 of us went out and limited by 8:00. they were all greenies except for one hen (oops) and one bw teal.Sunday sucked very few birds in and could only knock down one widgeon.Monday was slow again and I only got 3 greenies. :confused:

7. FishingFool46456

FishingFool46456 Senior Refuge Member

Donut shell were you hunting public or private?

8. Shoot'em UP

Shoot'em UP Senior Refuge Member

Went out for first time this season yesterday. Hunted morning and evening. I was shocked how many birds are out there. In the morning we had 6 different groups circle and 4 come in. Evening, we saw nothing but teal (man they fly fast). We ended up with 5 mallards and 3 teal among us (2 hunters). We should have got our limit, but man, our shooting was terrible. I forgot how sweet that whooosh sound is as they circle over. Laid in bed last night hearing that sound. Can't wait to get out there again!

9. workhorse

workhorse Senior Refuge Member

Great weekend! Hunted public land on the South Platte. Saturday, had to work the morning, but my buddy limited out by 9am, I got in an hour in the evening and got 3 teal. Sunday we were both limited out by 8 am. I shot so poorly, it was pathetic, but there were just a ton of birds. Again, mostly teal, and a pair of mallards. Monday morning I hunted by myself, and it was pretty slow, but I ended up taking a suzy, a green wing, and a beautiful Drake woodduck!!:D

I was really impressed with the number of birds and how few hunters were out. Not a single issue all weekend, and that is amazing for public land.

10. meatcaller

meatcaller Senior Refuge Member

Gander,
    I know Luke Cushman. I have bailed hay with him before. But one of my buddies in that picture, Nick Elliott, knows the cushmans real well. I think luke is Duanes son but there are alot of cushmans running around. I am at school at CSU and come back to longmont to hunt. I also am in a club out here in fort collins too. That field is always hot on the opener!!! Last year we shot 12 mallards and 7 geese. Don't know where the ducks were at this year. You guys came out the wrong day, saturday had twice as many flights. They all came from the south. I don't know of anybody that can hunt that field with a haybail blind. But I don't know how I would know you. What is your name?