Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Retirement

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Grey Goose, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

Hey folks I could use a little help. I'm getting closer to retirement and the search for a retirement location has started. I'm thinking Southern Idaho, Nebraska, or some place out west. My wife, however, is not. She wants to retire somewhere in Maryland or Virginia close to family. Where ever we end up I want it to be some place close to good waterfowl hunting with easy access. I'm tired of driving an hour and a half to the nearest boat launch. We lived 2 years in Salisbury many moons ago but I doubt we could recognize that area anymore. We plan on driving around the eastern shore a lot this summer and checking out the towns. Anyone care to provide some recommendations on where to start looking. Like most on here my hobbies are waterfowl hunting, deer hunting, crabbing, and fishing. Thanks for your help.

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Rockhall!

Congrats and Good Luck!

Roy G. likes this.
  3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Crisfield md is nice and great for waterfowl and fishing

4. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

There's a lot more to consider other than just hunting and fishing. Healthcare- access to it locally and decent quality that is, is very important thing to consider among other things.

Although crisfield has great hunting and fishing, it's pretty much dead overall. Rock hall isn't bad, there are some "ok" medical services in Chestertown, but unless you want to pay, you are quite a ways from public waterfaowling.

Easton, Salisbury and the surrounding areas are good choices. For all the above.

5. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

va or del are much cheaper living than md

The Other David likes this.
  6. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Very good point about Health Care services... something that is often over looked... I would scratch Rock Hall/Chestertown off the list... I grew up in Chestertown, and my parents ( in their 80's) live there along with my sister and her family, and judging from my past experiences and their current experience, I wouldn't let any health care professional in Chestertown put a band aid on a cut....

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  7. Valleyhonker

Valleyhonker Refuge Member

I enjoyed my time in Galena. The area around Chestertown was nice as well. Galena was close enough to Middletown and Smyrna that you had reasonable access to the necessities

8. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

Note the quotes around "ok" in my first post. We go to Middletown also for everything but primary.

9. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for input so far folks. Keep them coming.

10. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Let the wife live where she wants, buy your self a Scamp travel trailer.