Retiring to the Mountains ?????????

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by mnducker, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mnducker

mnducker Senior Refuge Member

I'm thinking of retiring to Colorado in a few years, my wife says its ok as long as we live with in one hour and a half from Denver. What areas with in that time range would you look at? Planning on fishing, and big game hunting.
    I have driven on the 285 from Denver to Fairplay and I like that area, but want to hear any suggestions as where to look before I contact a realtor.
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks, Al

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

17 years ago we moved from Colorado to MN. Lived there just short of 12 years. Lived in Boulder then moved to Lakewood and ended up in Jefferson County between Arvada and Golden. Some really good people, great weather and hard to beat looking out at the Rocky's.

What we found was that the traffic was terrible and we would drive 2 hours to get away from people and they all followed us.:D Waterfowl hunting was good when you could get access. Big game hunting was really good if you hunted limited draw or tough access places.

But to your question, politics aside, I would live in or near Boulder in a New York second. Second choice would be Golden. South of Denver I liked the Castle Rock area. West of Denver I liked Geneve (sp?) Park area up towards Georgetown. East of Denver I liked the Byers area only for the deer and coyote hunting, but I couldn't llive out there.

Remeber this was 17 years ago. I was out there about a year ago for business in Broomfeild and didn't recognize a darn thing besides the Flat Irons. It has really changed and not for the better in my opinion.

Good luck on your search.

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Buena Vista would stretch the 90 minute mark but not too bad. Good big game, some waterowl and good fishing. Beautiful area.

Insider tip - it's pronounced "byou-na" not "bway-na"...

4. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Don't forget if you are in the mountains you will have to deal with the constant threat of forest fires!

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Not after everything burns up this summer...:cry

6. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

I really hope you're kidding on that pronunciation Greg....If not, you could always look a little further east to Peblo...Eeeck!!!

7. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

Byou-na is how folks that move here from back east pronounce it :no

8. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

Colorado folklore has it that a couple was driving through the Colorado mountains and were discussing the correct pronunciation of Buena Vista.

The discussion became escalated and both the husband and wife became more adamant and each was convinced that their pronunciation of Buena Vista was the correct one.

Since they were soon to be driving through the actual town itself they decided they would settle it once and for all.

They pulled up to a fuel service station and asked the attendant if he lived here in the town.

He replied that he did.

The husband asked, "Can you please tell us the name of this place? ... and can you speak it slowly so that we'll both be able to know the correct way to say it ourselves?"

The attendant replied, "Certainly."

"CONOCO"