Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Retrieval tools

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Old Carver, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

I was thinking (wife says thats bad) about hunting and ways to make things easier. If/when I'm retrieving downed birds or decoys Ive used a long hook in the past. Many uses etc. I saw a guy on TV that used a grabber to reach things up on shelves etc. I was looking on Amazon and the have lots of EZ Reacher things 50", 60", 72", 96". I'm wondering if they would work for grabbing decoys or birds without leaning. Might be real handy for the kayakers. Anybody tried one of them?

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I run the boat and the guy up front picks up decoys. I maneuver the boat so that he is less then arms length from the decoy.

We also have a paddle and push pole with a slash cut in them to grab the decoy line.

BAYDOG likes this.
  3. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

When it's just me (most of the time) I run the minn kota and get nice and close. I have a 6 ft staff (walking stick) with a hook one the end that hooks decoy lines and corals downed birds. Thats worked all my life. When I saw the EZ Reach things I thought " heck just grabbem outright" maybe it'd work maybe not. Thought Id ask.

4. firstlight

firstlight Senior Refuge Member

Avery {I think} makes a 3-4 piece extendable pole with a U hook on the end. Extends out
    maybe 12-15+ feet, collapses to maybe 5' Haven't used mine in years,[have a dog now], but was pretty handy at times if you are without dog.

Old Carver likes this.
  5. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

My lab pup is 7 months old. This season will be his 1st. Fingers crossed. That extendable hook would be handy for decoy retrieving. I'll look into one of those. Thanks

6. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

My dogs will retrieve decoys if I need them to.

WaterFoulHunter and Birdcrazy like this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I used to get mine to do that if it was woody/teal and I wore shorts and knee boots. Had to tell him a few times but he would do it.

8. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

My old dog would do it too much. I'd get have my spread before he'd listen up and actually find the bird. Youngster loves duck wings zip tied to his bumper. Can't do any water work til spring (supposed to be -23 tomorrow night). Hard to do alot of outdoors training but his obedience stuff is top notch. Hoping to get lots of ideas and replace most of my hunting gear in after season sales. Redhead had those extending poles and so does Macks PW. Thanks for the idea.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

for birds I use an old small fish landing net. Just extended the handle with conduit pipe to make it 5' long.
    dekes I pick with a gaff which I use at the ramp as well

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Made a decoy retrieving pole out of a $4.97 crappie pole from W mart. Actually made 2 and gave one to my buddy. That was about 5 years ago and. Both still work grest. Took out the last thin end piece, hot glued a metal hook in the end of the next section, and spray painted them black, green and brown. Light, compact and great to use. Much less boat positioning needed. Let the pole do the work. I made another one from an old car wash wand that extends. Again, simply screwed a hook into the end. This one is heavier and also doubles as a boat hook and a spud pole. Any existing push pole can have a cup hook or bigger added to one of the blades ( or both blades) and be used to retrieve decoys. Kinda heavy, the crappie pole is very light. Lowes has some solid extension poles that are in the paint dept and used for paint rollers. The yellow ones seem to have the heaviest lock in mechanism. I also researched Home Depots poles too. The Lowes ones seem to be the best for retractible push poles.