Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Retrieval tools

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Old Carver, Jan 2, 2019.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I had a couple of the averyctekescoping poles. Worked okay till the got bent or dropped over board by folks hunting with me. Bought a smaller floating telescoping pole that you can attach a plastic gaff hook for picking up decoys or you can attach a small net that also has a quick disconnect for picking up downed birds.

When kids were young they dropped a couple of the non floating gaff poles overboard running trot line for crabs so a floating pole was the way to go to ensure no more purchases were needed. I think I found them at boaters world.

2. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

Very good point. Buoyant pole would save $$ in case of oops. I think that will be another of my purchases. As I rebuild I'm trying to buy the stuff I'll really use. I had 40+ years of crap in the barn. Some I used alot... Some every ten years. I'm older now and want to get stuff that will make things easier and that I willl actually use alot. Thanks for the inputs.

3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I have the 18 foot one by avery its on 2 seasons and it works great and way easier to pick up

4. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  5. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

Brilliant. Simple. ( wife calls me something like that) Thanks CAH.
    I'll order up the extendable retriever and go hit HD for the foam. Watching for good decoys to go on sale. I'll order up those and camo netting during the winter.

6. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

I think you are talking about poles with hooks. How 'bout a retractable fishing pole with stout line? When hunting from shore over deeper water, I've used it with a huge bobber connected to a giant treble hook for grabbing downed ducks and a large spinner to retrieve decoys. It is not the best idea out there. But it keeps the inside of my waders dry when I can't wade out to get downed birds or bring in the blocks.

WoodieSC and QuaaackerJack like this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

gock5 and WoodieSC like this.
  8. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

For what I would use it, this rig would be the bee's knees. I like the small size and that it is fold-able.
    Great commercial. Thanks for sharing!

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

I hunt out of a permanent blind.
    I have a smelt net with an 8' pole. Saves us from getting the boat out quite a bit to get downed birds.

10. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I was using an extendable pole with a hook on the end several years before Avery came out with them. For all we know, that crew stole the idea from some of us here at the 'Fuge.

Old Carver, get yourself a longest, lightest weight extension pole you can find at HD or Lowes, etc, and a small (4"?) paint roller. Those extendable poles normally have a threaded plug on the end and you can just screw the paint roller on the end as your hook. Obviously you want to remove the end fittings and the center support rods from the roller so you just have a U shaped hook (turned on its side).

I also have a 16' expandable pole that I have a full size 9" paint roller (base rod) on and it's great for reaching out to hook several decoy lines in one sweep.

For floatation, you can pull the pole pieces apart and spray the new dense foam into the inner pole piece. That may provide enough floatation that you don't have to put foam on the outside. Will have to try it.