Reverse

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by kato, Oct 26, 2006.

1. kato

kato New Member

Those of you that have it--is it worth it? How functional is it?

2. cutt-down

cutt-down Banned

Wouldn't have one without it. Period! Before reverse was offered I didn't think it was necessary. Got used to NOT having it & said myself that it wasn't needed. You can get by w/o it but once you have you won't want another mud motor w/o it. I am referring to FPR by pro-drive. I was as skeptical as those on here that don't have it................at first but since I've had it for two years now it is a great option to have in my opinion.

3. dukduster

dukduster Senior Refuge Member

ProDrive full power reverse is worth every penny, especially if you hunt alone. Gets you back out without breaking your back. Some try to compare it's utility to that of an outboard. Don't do that, cause it's not. It's not instantaneous, but when you need it, it's there. Main example of where I use mine is I drive up onto the bog after setting out the decoys. I put it in reverse. When I shoot a duck, I back right off the bog and go get him.

4. MRN

MRN Senior Refuge Member

From my point of view, short- and long-tail mud motors are all the same - the only thing truly different is FPR. If you want to get into the skinny stuff, where all the other mud motors are scared to go, the FPR is priceless. I have a super light boat, but getting stuck was still a huge pain with the long-tail. Now it is a non-issue with FPR. If I can go in forwards, I can always get out backwards.

If you don't get stuck, and you have no plans to get stuck, it's probably not very important.

M.

5. roy123

roy123 Elite Refuge Member

Sorry... but my longtail ain't afraid of the skinnies.:no As long as I don't go flying into the marsh like a dumbass, and don't ground my boat because I missed a turn, I don't get stuck.:no I'd like to see your fpr get you outa that.:dv
    When you are going slow enough, you can always tell when it is gonna get to tight to turn around in. That is when you stop.

6. T-mac

T-mac Elite Refuge Member

Thats the point...when it's too tight to turn around....you can keep going down the trail and back out if it doesn't go anywhere-
    This for scouting-

OR you can always beach your boat and walk

7. wifowler

wifowler Elite Refuge Member

Those that have it, love it. And so do I.

FWIW, you can buy a PD w/o FPR now, and at a later date add it for ~$450 IIRC. Check with KP or one of the PD guys for the exact details.

8. MRN

MRN Senior Refuge Member

Stop? You must explain this strange term, "Stop". The concept has been removed from my psyche. I only understand, over, around, and through - and if needed - backwards.

M.

9. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Elite Refuge Member

BINGO!

The trail in....
    [​IMG]

The stick and two hour turnaround...
    [​IMG]

Them banks was steep too!

10. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

I beach my boat all the time to hunt. Pull it right up on top of a big saw grass mound giving me an instant blind then just back off when ever ready. Would not own a mud motor without.