Reverse

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by kato, Oct 26, 2006.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

:l Yall must launch your rig truck, first. :l

2. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

I will once I get my Level I Upgrade and Stainless Muffler:dv

3. POKER1

POKER1 Elite Refuge Member

It's a given that one day MB will somehow manage to have a reverse. All the MB dealers will have it installed and will be trying to sell it as a "must have" option to make a little more money. It only makes sense, the customers want it. Sure, there are a few out there that will try to argue that it's not needed but my money says they would all love to have it. Then the arguement will be that the MB/GT type reverse is the ****. I can agree ahead of time that an instant reverse would be great, but FPR can't be beat where you need it the most. The GT type reverse seems pretty handy but you don't see them hooking it up in the really nasty stuff in their videos because it ain't the same as he PD reverse. The standard prop can't cut it on the power scale when running in the wrong direction. I liked the Hyper I ran last year, but there were many, many occassions where a FPR would have saved a back breaker moment on the push pole. Hell, just being able to back off a mud bank several times a day would be worth it. And you have to back up one way or another before forward is an option quite often. So it is crazy to downplay any type of reverse unless your company can't offer it as an option right now. That tune will change in time.:tu I would think from a MB dealer standpoint you would be saying that reverse is a great option and I can't wait till MB offers it. Hook up a reverse to that 45 and it will be the best of both worlds.

4. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

Heck, since there is so much rock hard bottom in the Tennesee Valley Watershed I think everyone should launch their rig truck first and just turn around........... that way........ then they can go around looking for the thousands if not millions of non-existant creeks and tributaries that don't feed a major river system.

All that water comes from the land of OZ by way of aquaducts built by the Umpa Lumpa's on their days off from the Chocolate Factory......

5. Oden

Oden Senior Refuge Member

LOL!!!!!!

6. ALMODUX

Yall keep on, but folks can get what they want or need, (or leave off what they don't) and they're happy. The only unanswered questions I have about the reverse 'types' are as to which is more reliable and why, which is a safer design for the average hunter to use and why, and which is the easier design to use and why. I've seen some wild stuff done with FPR that looked great on video, but I can also see somebody trying it and having a serious problem in a hurry if they don't handle it like it's supposed to be....at least from all the video. These aren't questions as to how it works or is supposed to work, but just looking down the road for the two types of reverse we see with mudmotors right now. Here's your chance to pimp the positives of either system.:)

7. UT Greenhead

UT Greenhead Senior Refuge Member

I'll try to answer your question Almo, but I must admit I've never driven a GT with the flip switch reverse, so I could be wrong.

I'll start with what I see from the GT reverse. It seems to be easier to engage. I don't see why there would be much reliability issues as it's not intended for a lot of abuse and don't see why people would try to use it to "get unstuck" as it would only cover them with mud. As far as the danger aspect of it, I would guess it would be more dangerous as the prop is leading the way with no protection. But as far as backing away from docks or picking up blocks...........what more could you ask for? This system would be perfect in my opinion for that type use. Please note: this is just the way I see it, NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THAT SYSTEM!!!

As for the PD, I know it's reliable as it's a simple design instituted on a proven "bullet proof" lower unit. It's different, but you already know that, so I won't insult your intelligence or try to make "sales pitch" (even though I'm just a customer). As for the danger or trouble…… Yes it's possible, but I must mention, the FPR is not made for what most people would consider normal reverse conditions, ie. backing from docks, picking up blocks, etc..... It is more for getting out of a sticky situation, in which most people are in the frame of mind that they are going to have to muscle the unit. In my opinion it's no more dangerous than trying to grind your way out in forward as when you're in reverse you still have the skeg to protect the prop. Plus, PD has developed items to keep the motor from kicking up on you, some (Stumpy to name one) just choose not to use them.

UTG

8. cutt-down

cutt-down Banned

Okay, I can already see where this is going. :yes Now we're going to get into a safety issue & I can see the marketing tactic in the future. :rolleyes:

I can also see a serious problem with a car or truck if they don't handle it like it's supposed to be! Even an outboard will thrust upwards in reverse! But pd puts a stop block with all reverses.............it's up to the customer to use it. You know, there's a chance with full power forward that a person will get into trouble trying to muscle thru stuff that they shouldn't. It takes a little common sense. But with the FPR where the prop is pretty much under the boat that makes it a little safer if you ask me. Also the prop is protected somewhat when reversing under power.

9. ALMODUX

Naw CD....It ain't about 'marketing' tactics. I just wanted to hear the pros from the PD and Gatortail folks. The 'safety' issue you bring up is not the one I see. UTG pointed out that some choose not to use the lock. I could see that being an issue, but it's their choice, I guess. I just see somebody taking a nose dive over the transom if they get too wild or stop real quick....not nitpicking that, cuz it would be the same issue if you were driving a boat from the bow and going forward....you ain't far from a skippin' act. I just think that's something to recognize about the setup and I'm not bashing it. On the other hand, reverse with a belt drive could get dicey if you did use it much in stumps, etc...just issues with reverse and mud motors, not problems with what brand they are. It's more about where and how we run these things vs where and how folks run outboards with reverse.:)

10. rg567

rg567 Senior Refuge Member

The way I look at it is this: How much would I charge to pushpole the boat. For arguments sake I'll say $50/hr for easier pushing(back through a narrow channel) and $100/hr for "stuck" cussing and hurting your back pushing. At this rate, the 400 isn't too bad, especially when theres more than one guy doing the work. For an extra $400 on a unit that costs over $5000, I don't see why anyone would pass up this option, let alone badmouth it for any reason. Anyone who says they've never needed it and would never want it is either full of ***** or needs to pass whatever they're smokin around for the rest of us to try:tu