Reverse

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by kato, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Pit Boss

Pit Boss Oregon Moderator

Someone was passing around some koolaid several pages back!:l

Pit Boss:l :no

2. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Unless you are Stumpgrinder...use the reverse block. As far as getting pitched out of the boat...you've got the engine to keep you in the boat. I doubt anyone is going to be going fast enough in FPR to get thrown from the boat. I ran my rig about 500 yards out of a creek just for fun the other day. It is simply amazing how you can maneuver the boat over logs, stumps, whatever in reverse. You do need to be careful goosing the throttle as you I could see how you could put a gallon or two over the transom. Stick time cures all.:grvn

3. MRN

MRN Senior Refuge Member

Yes - the block is very good. The 36 motor has such torque that I doubt anyone will be able to hold it down when it starts chewing the vegitation and kicking.

With a low transom, in deep water, its easy to put 5 or 10 gallons into the boat while reversing into waves or goosing the throttle to see how fast it'll go in reverse. It goes like a bat out of hades, but you gotta be careful when you let off the throttle in deep water. This just confirms the role of FPR for shallow, slow & stuck use (and to use basic boat sense).

M.

4. Mud Doctor

Mud Doctor Elite Refuge Member

I have used the reverse stop block and it seems to work fine.

Marketing aside, safety is a big issue. I too believe common sense use should prevail.

It is no big secret we have pushed the button on a reverse, as well as a vertical motor with reverse in order to meet the needs of some of our customers. We announced the plans two years ago and completed the engineering in September. As part of this decision our engineers and vendors met in California in mid October to discuss many aspects of the new models including reverse safety. The decision was simple. We have chosen to follow industry standards and incorporate automatic reverse locks, slow and full speed steering protection, pinch point protection, and reverse speed limitations on these new models. These are all meant to keep the operator and passengers in the boat and protect body parts during forward and reverse operation.

U.S. Coast Guard standards can sometimes be unclear but it is common practice for a mechanical device to be incorporated into reverse. It is not a user option, it is automatic when reverse is engaged. We recently received an enforcement directory from the U.S. Coast Guard requiring us to install neutral start protection on all new surface drives. We already have it, including mercury switches on the new HD Mini motors, however the point is made. Consumer safety is the law.

Court cases favor consumer protection and manufacturers should make every effort to incorporate automatic safety locks. A few years back some of the ATV industry with high speed reverse was compelled to install automatic rev limiters on their machines to prevent excessive reverse speeds and subsequent injury. The industry standard outboard reverse mechanical locks and ATV reverse rev limiters are meant to protect customers, old, young, physically challenged and certainly, the average user.

5. cutt-down

cutt-down Banned

Thanks! I can go out into the world today a much smarter man. ;)

6. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Elite Refuge Member

He is human you know? However, I did see him stop a speeding bullet one time with his teeth

7. duckthis

duckthis Senior Refuge Member

Yep, Stumpy is making me proud. He learns something New everytime he
    comes up to Tennessee;)

8. Sand Man

Sand Man Elite Refuge Member

Did some R&D did ya? :l :l :l

9. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

I saw a pic of DA using the reverse without the stop block. I'm gonna use mine. Just remember to take it out when running forward!!:yes

I like things made simple, strong and easily replaced. The more gizmos and doo-dads you add, the more shiatt to break 10 miles from the ramp in sleet, 2' chop and a 20mph wind. That's why I like the PD FPR.

10. Mud Doctor

Mud Doctor Elite Refuge Member

:no :no :no