Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Rexburg - BYUID

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Drifly, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Drifly

Drifly Senior Refuge Member

My son Brayden will be attending college at BYUHI this year. He has been my hunting partner since he was 6. He wants to bring his gun and try and hunt while there. I'm looking for any advise or guidance for the area?

Are there public places to hunt in the area?

Can you get access to property?

Does anyone hunt the area and is willing to provide some pointers?

PMs are welcome.

Thanks
    Drifly

2. gary s.

gary s. Elite Refuge Member

call, fish and game for public access info.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I second what Gary says. IDFG is generally very helpful in putting someone in the general area of birds. The fine tuning is achieved by scouting time.

I'd help him out but I am on the other end of the state in a completely different hunting area.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I can help out,. Im 80 miles away.
    He will need someplace to store his gun other than at campus
    If hes a RM ( even if he isnt) he wont have time to hunt! with such a wide selection of possibilities chasing him

However I cant get back to you until l I'm back from scout camp

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/ select layers then access yes

5. Drifly

View attachment 155714 View attachment 155714
    Thanks Salthunter.

He isn't an RM. he's 18 and just graduated from HS. He's off to school before making the decision to serve.

He will be living off campus so I'm not sure what the rules are about guns? He wants to bring both his 20ga & 12 ga with him.

He's a solid duck and goose caller and a heck of a shot.

Thanks again,
    Drifly

6. salthunter

Most housing is off campus. Maybe now all of it. Attending BYU I comes with a lot of extended policies. Housing can only be approved housing and only a handful of local students are the exception. In the past anyway students could not have firearms in any approved housing ( or their vehicles) You will need to check up on all of those policies, The rules are very strict.
    Last years the geese stayed up that direction and field hunting was crazy good. including mallard hunting. Send me a PM

7. Drifly

Thanks Salthunter...

I've done a lot more research on the rules at BYUI and your correct. Brayden can't have a gun in his apartment or on campus. This makes things more difficult but not impossible...

In doing my research I figured out I can rent a 5x5 storage unit off campus. He could store his guns and ammo there and not break any of the rules... He just can't bring his gun onto school or housing properties. Do you have any experience regarding this?

I'll send you a PM.

Thanks
    Drifly

8. salthunter

My daughter graduated 4 years ago . I just remember all of the gun policy rules.

Goose hunting has really gone down hill in my neighborhood and has gotten better up near Rexburg.

9. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Most of the decent hunting around Rexburg is pretty controlled by a couple of "clubs." Few places to go but not many that actually hold birds. But there are several public areas that can be decent on the right days.....they do get pounded though.

10. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

Boy you are not Kidding, Salthunter. I may be able to help around the late season, say December to the end of the hunt. But only if he comes alone, and can keep the info and area to himself. I know it is hard not to tell people, but that is how it has to be. I have been screwed over by other people I have tried to help. Get back with me after thanksgiving and well see.
    How are you doing Salty, I have not been on here for a while and wanted to say hello.

IFSteve likes this.