Ribs??? I need help!!

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Ben, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

:l :yes :l

2. Auto

Auto Banned

However, you can use turbinado sugar that will not carmelize or scorch, and yes it can be mixed in for rubs with great success.:tu

3. Mark

Mark Senior Refuge Member

GAWD NO don't boil them ribs, what did they ever do to you? Peal the membrane off, I used needle nose plyers. Emirl's rib rub is good if you don't want to mix your own. Now coat those babys up! Let them just rest in the fridge for a day or two. I think you said you had a gas grill. Set it up for indirect heat. Make a couple of foil packs with half wet wood, and half dry wood. For pork, I like apple. Set the foil pack punched full of holes over your burner, get your grill to 225 -250. Let those ribs just relax with the membrane side down. Don't be flippen them all over this isn't a Sizler comercial. However you may need to adjust them so you don't get burn spots. I would think three hours aught to do it (I use a spray bottle with apple vinigar/bourbon/lemon juice to keep em moist, then wrap them in foil for two hours, then take them out of the foil for another hour. The last half hour, start mopping on your sause.

Get Steven Richlins book Mops Sauces and rubs. This is a great book for recipes. Next, go get a Chargiller smoken pro.

4. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

I think we all agree:

*Ribs should not be boiled
    *Low and slow
    *Wet or dry....you decided
    *Peel the membrane for more flavor on the back side
    *Baby Back Ribs are priced too high
    *Fruitwood, pecan or oak is not as harsh as hickory

But what if you don't have all day to cook ribs?

First, I rub Kitchen Bouquet (A browing sauce) and rub onto the ribs. Sprinkle a little kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Then I apply rub all over the ribs and rub it in. Put in the fridge and let set overnight.

Put the ribs in a roasting pan and put a little liquid in the bottom of the pan. I use soy sauce and water in equal part...1 cup of each. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for around an hour (or until done and ribs are starting to fall apart). Remove from oven and put on grill.

I grill the ribs until they are seered and then I sauce them up for the kids.

These are excellent ribs that don't take all day to cook. Are they better than my smoked ribs...NO, but they are pretty damn easy to fix!

Enjoy,

MM

5. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

Mack, if you don't have all day, then try cooking over a hotter fire. It takes a more active approach, but if you crank up the heat, add some smoke, and finish them faster than normal, you will be surprised. If I am in a hurry, I can get ribs off the grill in no more than 1 hour. Low and slow is the rule, but I can finish em fast if need be.

6. Wetland Warrior

Wetland Warrior Elite Refuge Member

I did a few slabs of ribs for a party a couple weeks back and surprisingly.. there were a few left after smoking them all morning. I vacuum sealed them and dropped them in the deep freeze. After reading the first 10 posts on this thread I found myself thawing the ribs, rubbing some sauce, wrapping in foil, and they are warming in the toaster oven. Kinda redneck to eat ribs for breakfast? Good thing wifey is out running errands... she already gets on my case about my meal choices. Sometime... wheat thins and chocolate frosting is the right combination at the end fo the day. :sp

mmm.. I smell those ribs warming :nutz

7. Big_Bayou_Hooter

Big_Bayou_Hooter Senior Refuge Member

http://www.wickersbbq.com For a Vinegar Base Sauce

http://www.bigbobgibson.com For A Sweeter Base Sauce

World's Championship Bar-Ba-Que Contest
    In 2004, 359 teams competed. The team of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q came away with First place Ribs and a Reserve Grand Championship Trophy.

Wicker"s is as poplar with locals as it is with chefs, Memphis-in-May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest teams and folks all over the country.

There is a delicious Wicker's product for beef, pork, chicken and fish. It's also a great shrimp boil and seasoning in tomato juice, Bloody Marys, baked beans and chili. Best of all, Wicker's is 100% natural.

There is no ending to the number of great Wicker's recipes possible. This section is devoted to a sampling of the many ways Wicker's can transform a meal into a great experience.

A word about marinating and basting: MARINATING a meat consists of letting it soak in a mixture of an oil, an acid and flavoring agents. The oil is there to keep the meat moist during cooking, the acid (vinegar) acts as a tenderizer, breaking down the fibers in the meat during the marinating time. The exotic spices are the flavoring agents. A time guide for marinating meat that usually works is four hours of marinating time for every inch of thickness. BASTING is a simple method of flavoring meat by painting it with sauce during cooking. Basting usually does not tenderize. It can, however, keep it moist during the cooking and add flavor and a glaze to the surface. Wicker's Thicker should be brushed on near the end of the cooking time to prevent scorching.

With your continued imput, we will constantly add to this list of recipes.

SPICY SMOKED PORK SHOULDER
    5-6 pounds pork butt or shoulder - well trimmed
    3-4 cloves fresh garlic - in slivers (optional)
    64 fl. oz. bottle Wicker's Original Marinade & Baste
    3 cups mesquite or hickory wood chunks, soaked.

Trim as much fat as possible from the pork roast. If using garlic, insert the slivers all over. Place in a large stainless steel or glass bowl. Shake the bottle of Wicker's and pour about half of it over the meat. Cover with plast wrap and refrigerate 24 hours, or at least a few hours. Remove pork from refrigerator 45 minutes before smoking and discard used marinade. Build a large fire in charcoal grill, or preheat gas grill. If you have a round charcoal grill, push the white coals into a circle, add the soaked wood and put the pork shoulder over the empty space in the middle. If you have a rectangular grill, push the prepared coals to one end, add the soaked wood, and place the pork shoulder on the opposite side of the grill. And, if you have a gas grill, turn down one of the burners to low, and have the other one turned off. Place the soaked wood on a steel gray in the grill bottom, and position the pork should over the "off" burner. Cover the grill and turn the vents so that they are barely half open. You want to contain as much smoke as possible. Meanwhile, have extra charcoal handy and extra soaked wood. Cook, basting with fresh Wicker's Original 20-30 minutes for approximately 4-6 hours, or until the shoulder is a dark mahogany brown all over and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 180 degree Farenheit. Remember that pork cooked over smoke will develop a "red" ring of smoke, so this doesn't mean that the meat is not done. When cooked, remove from grill tent loosely with foil and let rest 20-30 minutes before carving. Great with Wickered Beans, slaw and ice tea!
    Yeild: 8-10 servings

GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN
    3-4 pounds pork tenderloin
    3-4 cloves garlic, in slivers (optional)
    2-3 cups Wicker's Original Marinade & Baste
    2 cups soaked wood chips or your choice

Rinse pork and wipe dry. If using, insert garlic slivers all over, to taste. Marinate the pork tenderloin in Wicker's Original overnight, or at least 30 minutes. Build a fire in charcoal or gas grill and wait until coals are white, or gas grill is preheated. Push the coals into a circle, if grill is round, or to one end, if grill is rectangular. Place tenderloins on cooking surface for indirect heat cooking. Close top of grill and leave vents half open. Cook, turning and basting every 20 minutes, with additional Wicker's Original, until an instant read thermometer inserted into center of pork tenderloin is 140 degrees Farenheit, and the tenderloin is brown and glazed. Remove meat from grill and wrap in foil to keep warm. Let stand while you make the sauce.

Sauce: in a small pot, combine 3/4 cup orange marmalade, 1/2 cup Wicker's Original, and half to one small jalapeno pepper, diced fine - remove the seeds and membranes, if you don't like it hot. Heat over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Serve on the side with sliced pork tenderloin.
    Yeild: 6-8 servings

SMOKE-GRILLED WICKERS SPARE RIBS
    5-6 pounds lean pork spareribs, in slabs
    3 cups Wicker's Original Marinade & Baste
    2 cups hickory or mesquite chips, soaked in water 30 minutes
    Additional Wicker's Original for basting
    Wicker's Thicker Barbecue Sauce (Optional)

Rinse and wipe meat dry. Score in between each rib on membrane side and marinate ribs overnight or at least 30 minutes in Wicker's Original, using stainless steel or glass pan. Build a charcoal fire in grill and wait about 30 minutes, until coals turn white. If grill is round, spread coals in a circle around outer edge; if rectangular, push coals to one side. Add soaked wood chips on top of coals. Discard marinade and set ribs on grill over open center of coals, or at opposite end of grill from coals for indirect cooking. Cover grill with vents partially open. After 20-30 minutes, turn and bast with fresh Wicker's. Continue to cook and baste periodically with additional Wicker's. Add a few extra coals at the end of 45 minutes, to make sure you have sufficient heat. Total cooking time is 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how hot the heat is and how thick the ribs are. They are done when they turn dark mahogany brown and are fork tender. Toward the end of cooking, if you like your ribs saucy, rather than dry, you can brush them with Wicker's Thicker.

Note: If using gas grill, preheat one side only. Soak large hunks of hickory or mesquite wood and place in a metal tray close to the flame. When ready to cook, adjust the heat to low and cook ribs on opposite side from heat source. Cook, covered, with vents partially open, turning and basting frequently, until dark brown and tender. Ribs may cook faster on a gas grill so adjust timing accordingly.
    Yeild: 4-6 servings

WICKERED PORK SHOULDER:
    Here's a great way to make a pork "butt" or shoulder anytime of the year. This melt-in-your-mouth roast is great sliced...for Sunday dinner...or chopped for weekly sandwiches. Chill the "pot likker", remove the fat and you'll have a savory sauce.

1 - 5 to 6 lb.pork butt or shoulder
    4 - cloves of fresh garlic, cut in slivers
    1 - onion, sliced
    1 - 28 oz. Wicker's Original Marinade & Baste

Trim as much fat as possible from the pork roast. Insert the garlic slivers all over, and place roast in a dutch oven or heavy pot with lid.
    Next Shake up the bottle Wicker's Original and pour half of it over the meat. Top with sliced onion. Cover tightly and bake at 325 degrees for 2 to 3 hours. basting with pan juices and turning occasionally, until the meat is fork tender. Add more Wicker's Original if the pot becomes dry.
    Then remove the meat from the pot and let stand a few minutes before carving. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

WICKERED BAKED BEANS:
    4 - 16 oz. cans pork & beans
    1/4 lb. - lean bacon, diced
    1 - large onion, diced
    2 cloves - garlic, minced
    1/3 cup - brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup - catsup
    1/2 cup - Wicker's Original Marinade
    pepper, to taste
    worchester sauce, to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    Open the beans and pour away excess liquid at the top of each can. Then saute bacon and onions, until bacon is half cooked. Next add beans and remaining ingredients, stirring to blend well. Pour into a 2 quart open casserole dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until bubbly and edges are brown. Yield: 12 servings.

WICKER'S WICKET TURKEY:
    1 - 12 TO 15 LB. TURKEY
    1 - 28 oz. Wicker's Original Marinade
    8 to 10 cups of your favorite dressing (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove giblets and rinse turkey. Stuff with dressing, if desired. Truss and place turkey in a roasting pan. Pour half a bottle of Wicker's Original over turkey. Roast uncovered, basting with pan juices and additional Wicker's Original as needed. Cook 3 to 4 hours or until therometer registers 180 degrees. Baste about every 10 minutes during last hour of cooking. Remove turkey from pan and keep warm.
    WICKERED GRAVY: Skim excess fat from pan, add 1/3 cup flour and blend well. Add 3 cups hot turkey broth made from giblets. Cook over medium heat, stirring until gravy thickens. Yield: 12 to 15 servings.

MISTY'S OVEN BARBECUED CHICKEN:
    8 to 10 - chicken breasts or 3 lbs. cut-up chicken
    1 teaspoon - salt
    1/2 teaspoon - cayenne pepper
    28 oz. - Wicker's Thicker Barbecue Sauce

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Salt and pepper chicken. Dip chicken in Wicker's Thicker and place in a large iron skillet or baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Cover and cook 15 minutes in hot oven. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 1 1/4 hours. Do not uncover until cooking time is completed. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

8. pete

pete Elite Refuge Member

For those of you that advocate boiling ribs.............I have some teal tags for sale, all colors in stock.

9. Localduck

Localduck Elite Refuge Member

Just did 2 racks of pork ribs in 3 hours on my Chargriller with the fire in the offset box. They were fine! I used a dry rub before cooking and then mopped 'em when I turned them over the first time with a vinegar based sauce- after 45 min cooking. I started out with charcoal and then added some oak. Mop recipe below from the internet.

• 1 cup and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    • 1/8 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
    • 1/2 ounce chili pepper flakes
    • 1/2 ounce cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 ounce ground black pepper
    • 1/2 ounce ground paprika

10. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

If I ain't got the time to do them right- have BURGERS that meal!