rice field

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by yogi, Sep 19, 2016.

1. yogi

yogi Senior Refuge Member

Got a pit blind in a rice field. What is the best thing (legal) for the farmer to do after harvest to increase usage by birds? How soon before season should we flood?

Thanks,

2. fultz

fultz Senior Refuge Member

Not harvest I would think.

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Roll it, or burn it.
    manage your water to flood in intervals if you can. I almost never hunt the first split, so I usually don't start flooding fields until after the season starts.

4. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

Most farmers usually know what they are doing.

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Check with Cransford, he might-could high fence it for you.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

put a blue heron decoy in the field

7. fultz

fultz Senior Refuge Member

I was definitely being a smart *** with my answer of not harvesting but in reality I have no clue. I have never hunted a field. I have always been a GTR/flooded timber guy.
    Is it even legal to hunt a rice or corn field that hasn't been harvested? Would it make for good hunting?

8. arkansaw

arkansaw Elite Refuge Member

We have all of our fields blocked and ready to catch any water we can. I think the best thing to do after harvest is to roll the place, just my opinion.

fultz, I don't think it is legal to leave un-harvested and hunt it due to continued food manipulation when you or the dog runs through. I think the Green Jeans would consider that baiting.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I think sometimes there is nothing you can do to attract more ducks to a field, and sometimes there is nothing you can do to attract less ducks to it. Seen some fields get only a handful of ducks, while the one beside it is loaded. Nothing different about the field(s).

10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

That's not true. There are thousands of high dollar flooded, uncut corn clubs in Missouri and northward. The Feds specifically exempt uncut (can be flooded or not) crops from the baiting rules. There is a clause that says disturbance due to normal hunting activities (retrieving game, getting gear to the blind, etc) is not manipulation. Whether a crop is manipulated or not also depends on intent. This gives the possum cops discretion when determining if a crop has been manipulated. No GW is his right mind is gonna write a baiting citation if the dog knocks down some grain while retrieving, however, if you ride your 4wheeler in circles around the blind to knock corn off the stalks, you will be cited 100% of the time.

Where the law gets tricky is when crops are determined a total loss (due to disease, weather, or whatever) and the farmer files an insurance claim. The insurance company is going to tell the farmer how to deal with it, whether it be burning, disking, mowing or whatever. Depending upon the time of year and other factors, the local county extension may deem the procedure not in accordance with "normal agricultural activities," - the field is then liable to be determined baited by the Feds. Folks in south Louisiana are dealing with this right now. Lots of farmers weren't able to harvest rice because of flooding. Lots of duck hunters gonna be PO'ed when they find out their fields are baited according to the law.

rhpierce and stevena198301 like this.