rice field

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by yogi, Sep 19, 2016.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Naw officer! We was just bustin the ice in front of the blind. We didn't have intent to knock the corn stalks down... :l

2. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

C-O-R-N

3. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Corn is one of those that they get very touchy about. So much so that guys who use the corn stalks to brush the blind (have seen several with a semi-pit in the middle of a corn field...deadly) are careful to haul every single ear out...wardens have been known to come around and check.

The other issue is second-growth rice...forget what the specific name is, but a couple years ago there were warnings issued throughout Arkansas and Louisiana that wardens would be specifically looking at rice fields because the conditions and early harvest resulted in a second crop...excessive, multiple atv trails through the field, etc. would be regarded as baiting.

I'm not a fan of a burned field, but I know it is a preference. Had a farmer disk one once, and that was miserable. The field was over-flooded anyway, but there wasn't even any stubble to blend in..the pit was just a pile of brush in the middle of open water. Didn't take the ducks long to learn. And walking in it sucked.

I know someone who has the field rolled and just flooded enough to do no more than about 4 acres right around the pit...his theory is why flood an entire field and encourage the ducks to land somewhere other than where you want them to?

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

10-15 acres of flooded milo or corn for me. There's boys here in SEMO that will pump up 40 acres at 2.5'- 3.5' deep and have a pit or blind on the edge.

Hugatree likes this.
  5. deltadukman

deltadukman Senior Refuge Member

Get a great big logging chain and drag it between two tractors.

6. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

Burn, disk, then flood