Rice For Ducks

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by duckhawk-55, Feb 7, 2018.

1. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor Sponsor

Tried rice many years ago, and had bad luck , or lack of knowledge. Now Ive moved to Alabama and want to try it again. Hunted over an uncut rice field in MS Delta this year and was swarmed with ducks. I have similar soil type here (clay-silt), and close to same climate.
    Looking for Rice advice.. Thanks

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I tried it last year with no luck....

Just picked up a big load yesterday to try again.

I'm not a good example as I'm just broadcasting it and hoping it grows. Beavers messed me up some last year by keeping water on it too long.

3. Bercy3939

Bercy3939 New Member

We tried it a few year ago as well. We broadcast it and had the best looking stand you could imagine. Upon closer inspection of the rice heads/husks, there was no seed inside. So we ended up with absolutely nothing.

This guy makes rice look easy though -

4. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

Download a copy of the Rice Handbook from the University of Arkansas Ag Extension website and study up on rice culture. You can grow rice if you learn how it is done commercially and if you have the appropriate place and resources. Rice is a heavy nitrogen user. Just broadcasting it and walking away is not likely to work very well. Growing rice successfully typically requires a lot of inputs (fertilizer, herbicides, water) at the right times, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it without fancy equipment.

5. ukcpeak

ukcpeak Senior Refuge Member

That guy makes killing oak trees look easy:doh

6. xpress1650

xpress1650 New Member

Like HH said above, nitrogen is key. Rice takes a lot of water to make a good stand. temp outside, temp of water during what stages. Its different i am sure growing there, than here in Arkansas. Once your rice gets at a certain stage you need to flush it. About 4-5" and run some water on and off. Water control, levees, gates, etc is key as well.

7. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Not all clay soils are the same. First things first. Send off a soil sample. Set a goal of 150 bu/ac rice and see what the soil test report tells you it's gonna take to produce that. May find out real quick that your fertilizer inputs are gonna be way more than it's worth.

8. Fowler267

I have 1000 lbs of seed... I'm gonna sling a bunch of it and hope some of it grows.

If ten % does Ill be happy.

9. 4scout

4scout New Member

Where have you found the best place to get your rice seed? What's the best type of rice to buy? Thanks

10. Fowler267

Last year I paid $13 per 50 lb bag. Regular ag rice in Mo.

This year I bought leftover and rodent damaged on clearance.