Rice For Ducks

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by duckhawk-55, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Lotta good info here to help choose a variety if you want to dig deeper into it. Check the averages on some of the conventional varieties for a lodging score. The higher the score the more likely to lodge. Stay away from the hybrids and Clearfield varieties $$$$
    http://www.mafes.msstate.edu/variety-trials/includes/crops/rice.asp

2. 4scout

4scout Refuge Member

Great....thanks for the information!

3. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

4. 4scout

4scout Refuge Member

Thanks again! I will be using a spreader too. Do you lightly disc the rice seed in or do you just spread it across the ground after discing in the fertilizer? When spraying the post herbicide with Aim and 2-4d, are you using 1.25 oz/ac of Aim and between 1-2 pints/ac of 2-4d with a surfactant? Also, what kind of surfactant? I typically spray around 20-22 gal/ac of water/herbicide/AMS mixture depending on the amount/height of weeds, sometimes less....how many gallons of water are you using per acre? Thanks

5. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

Sowing - I use a precision sower and also try to cultipack after sowing if time and soil conditions permit. I have no experience broadcast sowing rice, but if I were to do it I would probably increase my sowing rate by about 50%. I would also consider spreading 2/3 of the seed, disking in lightly, then top sowing the remainder, ideally followed up with a cultipacker.

Herbicides - I follow the label on rates and surfactants. If the label allows for a crop oil concentrate or a non-ionic surfactant, I go COC. Aim at the highest label rate with COC will burn rice seedlings, but they will recover. Aim is expensive, but it works very well on small weeds. 2,4D works just as well, but you have to be more conscious of adjacent crops and drift. In Arkansas, you have to have a commercial pesticide applicators license to purchase 2,4D in useful quantities (more than a quart I believe?). I target 20 GPA application rates for good coverage.

6. 4scout

4scout Refuge Member

Thanks hhpage! You all are very helpful.

7. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor Sponsor

Hancocks Seed