Rick Santorum - The Anti-Hunter's Election Choce

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by SAOVA2002, Oct 3, 2006.

1. SAOVA2002

SAOVA2002 Senior Refuge Member

Dear Pennsylvania Friends,

Sen. Rick Santorum's reelection is endorsed and heavily financially supported by the chief anti-hunting lobbyist in the United States, Wayne Pacelle, CEO of the Humane Society of the U.S. (HSUS). Pacelle told Santorum at a November 8, 2005 public hearing on his S1139 anti-hunting dog owner bill that he could count on 300,000 HSUS animal rightist votes in Pennsylvania. I was there and had previously been denied the opportunity to testify against this Santorum-HSUS bill.

HSUS is pushing anti-hunting ballot questions this year in Maine and Michigan, in addition to its federal and local lobbying. Here are some Pacelle hunting quotes,

"If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would."

"Our goal is to get sport hunting in the same category as **** fighting and dog fighting. Our opponents say that hunting is a tradition. We say traditions can change."

"Only 7% of Americans are hunters. That means there are more of us than there are of them. It is simply a matter of democracy. The majority rules in a democracy. We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state."

"The entire animal rights movement in the United States reacted with unfettered glee at the [Fox Hunting] Ban in England ...We view this act of parliament as one of the most important actions in the history of the animal rights movement. This will energise our efforts to stop hunting with hounds."

Rick Santorum has repeatedly introduced and voted for anti-hunter, animal rights activists’ bills during his time in Washington. Keystone State hunters and animal owners should understand this as they go to the polls on November 7, 2006.

Understand that SAOVA's reviews are single interest efforts. We make no pretense of evaluating candidates' positions on taxes, education, social security, medical care, national security, gun control or social issues. To the degree that hunting, fishing, livestock farming and pet ownership are important to you, we offer these election candidate analyses to be combined with other, personal considerations to determine your vote. Study the candidates and support those individuals that will support you. Register and VOTE!

Animal rightist endorsed state legislators have been added to our Pennsylvania page located at http://saova.org/Pennsylvania6.html

Sincerely,

2. gogetthedogs

gogetthedogs Senior Refuge Member

I doubt that Santorum is willing to wager 300,000 humane society votes against the 2 million hunters' votes.
    Besides, he is one of the highest rated by the NRA.
    I hear warnings like this all the time. I am sure the NRA would step in and alert it's members to anything that will threaten anything that involves the use of firearms.

Thanks anyway!

3. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Refuge Member

While i am not pleased with Santorum i would prefer him to Casey any day.
    This sounds like an endorsment for casey

4. L-I-B-MRDUCKS

L-I-B-MRDUCKS Senior Refuge Member

If Mr. Santorum is anti gun I have never heard of it. A search of his website reveals nothing to suggest that he is anti gun or hunting. He voted for the animal terrorism act that provides stiff penalties for people that would terrorize animal research facilities. He also voted for stiff mandatory penalties for anyone using a gun in the commission of a crime. That bill was endorsed by the NRA.

If I were a anti hunting or gun group and wanted to deny votes for him I would endorse him in the hopes that it would draw votes off. This election cycle is going to be tough on Republicans and we cannot afford to loose even the loony RINOS like the missing Link Chaffee.

A Dimicrat led Congress will assure the worst fears for gun owners and will weaken the Country's fight against terrorism.

On a personal note I pray for those families that lost children in the recent school tragedy.

5. SAOVA2002

SAOVA2002 Senior Refuge Member

PA's licensed hunters are now below 1 million. You also assume that hunters are as informed and motivated as HSUS voters. That's not true, very frankly.

NRA's new Hunting Policy Program is a positive step, but NRA-ILA still calls the shots in Fairfax. Anti-hunters and anti-gun zealots are viewed differently. It's an apples and oranges situation. Very rarely does PVF not endorse a sitting Republican. Check the common HSUS-NRA endorsements. There are a lot of them and Wayne Pacelle's the one doing his homework. Casey's the lesser of two evils here, as is frequently the case when you go to vote.