Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Rifle opinion?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Brent4Hire, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Brent4Hire

Brent4Hire Elite Refuge Member

I'm looking at adding a longer range centre fire to the arsenal. I have a slug barrel for my 12g for shotgun only zones. I also have my trusty of 30-30 for brush shooting.

I have two options that have popped up that I'm deciding between - the two caliber a are slitting hairs, but this will serve as my "do everything" else rifle - field deer, elk, moose, etc.

Option 1 - Browning SS Stalker 30-06 with hard shell case, 2 mags, and a Tasco World Class Plus 3-9x40. Great shape.

Option 2 - Browning SS Stalker 7mm Rem Mag, like new, no case, Leupold VX-II 3-9 x40. This one will cost me $50 more.

What direction would you go and why. I don't reload, and have no plans to start. Even the VXII would get swapped off after this season, so the scope's only significance is the resale, which is obviously gonna be higher on the Loo.

2. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

Go with the 30-06 if you want any "everything" rifle and upgrade the optics.

With all of the different factory loads for the caliber you will be suited for any big game species you are hunting.

3. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator

While each cartridge has their merits, I would choose the 7 mm, even going with the fact that the 06 can be loaded up to and over 200 grain bullets.

the 7mm will burn more powder, and will out run the 06 and provide excellent knock down muzzle jump from the two rifles should be about the same with the given bullet weights for over the counter rounds.

4. Brent4Hire

50/50 - ;-)

I've hunted deer, caribou, and moose with the venerable ought-six, and have taken some considerable distance pokes with it - further than I like to admit in my older days now. I've read a lot of online literature suggesting current factory offerings are pushing the 06 slugs out there with similar ballistics as the 7RM - inversely, I've read that the factory loaded 7RMs are tough to get top speeds and stabilities with from anything shorter than a 26" pipe. The 7mm A-Bolt I'm looking at is a 24", vs 22" on the 30-06, if that means much.

Another point that comes up a lot in the 3" vs 3.5" debate (one that I always chuckle at, but it possible I suppose), is that pretty much all of the guys at my deer camp are shooting the 06.

Factory loads run about $5 more per box for 7mm over 06, so cost of shooting isn't major issue. I run through a couple cases of 3 and 3.5" goose and turkey loads a year - the 06 doesn't stomp much less than a 7mm, so recoil won't be a concern. My main concerns are barrel length in the woods and long range ballistics...many cases are made that the 7mm doesn't outperform the 30-06 enough in the current factory loads to justify the added price of ammo or the added length and weight of the gun. I know the Leupold will serve better for this season and bring more $ towards a BDC Monarch in the off-season, or I could swap it onto my 30-30, and the 7mm will be shipped to my door - I have to drive 4 hours to get the other, making the prices exactly the same as well.

5. Brent4Hire

Turns out there's a snag - the 7mm doesn't have the Vari X II anymore - it has a Monarch 5-20x44. Probably a deal breaker - that's a lot of magnification on the minimum side.

6. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

Get the 7, without scope. Put the glass YOU want on it.

7. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

If "most" of your shots will be 200 yards or less go with the 30-06. If most shots are longer then I would opt for the 7 mag. Magnum center fire cartridges with the increased felt recoil can cause flinching and other bad habits to those not accustomed to it.

8. Brent4Hire

Great points, Ruff. I'm not worried about the recoil aspect - I've shot a lot.

This rifle will serve as a main longer range gun - I plan to start making a trip every second year out to Alberta for elk and Mulie (I've lived there before, so I know the lay of the land and typical shots out there). That's what makes the 7mm very tempting (my 30-30 covers everything I need here in the eastern woods...when I'm not using my recurve ;)).

9. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Yup!

10. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I have both calibers in the safe and both will do the job well, but the 7 Mag does it just a little farther out.