Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Rifle opinion?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Brent4Hire, Oct 7, 2014.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

7MM rem mag all day long. Nothing wrong with the all world 06 but the 7mm has the edge.

2. One_Duck_Limit

One_Duck_Limit Senior Refuge Member

Please define 'long range'. For some it's 300 yards, for others it 1K yards.

3. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

No point in having to deal with a belted case, if you don't have to. If the 7 mag is any better than the '06, at anything, then the 280 STILL makes more practical sense. If you hand load, a 280 ai is equal to 7 mag factory fodder, and the '06 can stretch its legs until its splitting hairs with the 7RM. JMO, but belts are for African rifles.

4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'd go with 'Option 1' and put good glass on it.

5. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I am not sure what you mean about the belt here almo but so many people have always mentioned the belt on 7mm rem mags being like an issue. I am realy confused by this and never understood what the problem was or suposed to be.:scratch
    If i try real hard and look for a critisisum of the 7mm rem mag it would be the neck could do to be a bit longer but apart from that i struggle to find fault with this round in every respect.

6. blood of the ram

blood of the ram Elite Refuge Member

There aren't any real disadvantages to belted cartridges - except for some reloading issues which the OP won't face. (And you can get special dies for full case resizing if he changes his mind.) It's just a silly "I don't drive no Chevy's" sort of prejudice.

But as to the OP's question: if he's not reloading, he should go with the '06, esp if he plans on shooting heavier bullets for moose. Yes, the 7 will shoot a bit flatter but with a 200 yard zero the difference in drop is going to be about 4 feet versus 6 feet. And if you're not reloading, you are going to spend a lot of coin in cartridges getting to know what 50 inches of holdover looks like. Plus in the field you'll have to tote about 4 more inches of barrel to get the velocities of the 7.

7. nobrownducks

nobrownducks Senior Refuge Member

Longer range option is easily #2. When you can, put a Leupold CDS or Vortex scope on it and you will have a nice, versatile gun that can reach out there.

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I think yall are mis-comprehending: Sure, the 7RM does fine with a belt, but it doesn't NEED it. It's one more element of angle for chamber cutting and variance of belts between mfg, to be a potential issue. It increases case head size and bolt thrust, for no good reason. I have had plenty of good 7RM rifles. I've just never seen the practicality. The reality is that the 7RM and others, spun off of parent cases that had rims, but were larger bore. Newtons made more 'sense'. If I were picking a 284 over a 308 pilled cartridge, it's 7x57 or .280. That 30-06 will do anything the 7RM will do, to any practical hunting range. If you have any business shooting stuff way out there, a few inches of drop in 4-6' of drop, isn't the deal breaker. '06, all the way....does it all in shorter barrels, with less blast...among other things. From a pure #s standpoint, the 7 RM is a good cartridge, but it's only reaching potential if you load for it.

9. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

^^^ This,
    I have shot a 7 Mag for over 40 yrs and has been my go to gun. But you are right about the belt issue, guys forget that it head spaces off the belt vs the shoulder of non belted cartridges.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, " If I could only have one rifle to hunt big game with it would be my 06 " IMO YMMV

10. jamesd1187

jamesd1187 New Member

There are very few factory cartridges that can't be improved upon with hand loading and/or premium bullets. Out to 300 yards the .30-06 is my preference, but a properly set up .30-06 is just as capable when it comes to long distance as a 7 rem magnum. Long distance to me being beyond 500 yards.