Rifle opinion?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Brent4Hire, Oct 7, 2014.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

If you sat down and thought about it you could come up with a case for most any rifle callibre out there from probably .2506 and up, and all will work regardless, its personal preference at the end of the day and mine is for the 7mm rem mag out of those two choices based on what i have seen over the past 35 years.
    If you are looking at other calibres thats another story all together, but remember both those rounds listed by the OP are capable of anything he is likeley to want to do.

2. One_Duck_Limit

One_Duck_Limit Senior Refuge Member

Most people are very sensitive about their rifle calibers for some reason. I'm a fan of the .284 bullet in any caliber because of their higher ballistic coefficients. The OP mentioned he wasn?t going to reload. I used a factory Federal load and a ballistic software to come up with the below drop and energy numbers.

A 180 grain 30 caliber bullet has roughly the same ballistic coefficient of a 160 grain 7mm bullet.

Federal 30-06 load using 180 grain Nosler Partition
    Ballistic Coefficient .474
    2700 fps ? per Federal data
    At 500 yards drop is -45.54?, energy is 1550 ft-lbs.
    At 1000 yards drop is -325.30, energy is 766 ft-lbs.

Federal 7mm load using 160 grain Nosler Partition
    2950 fps ? per Federal data
    Ballistic Coefficient .475
    At 500 yards drop is -37.28, energy is 1688 ft-lbs.
    At 1000 yards drop is -265.05, energy is 847 ft-lbs.

Most of the guys I know are using lighter bullets out of their 30-06.

Below comparison using similar weight bullet

Federal 30-06 load using 165 grain Nosler Partition
    Ballistic Coefficient .410
    2830 fps ? per Federal data
    At 500 yards drop is -43.10?, energy is 1425
    At 1000 yards drop is -323.24, energy is 633 ft-lbs.

Federal 7mm load using 160 grain Nosler Partition
    2950 fps ? per Federal data
    Ballistic Coefficient .475
    At 500 yards drop is -37.28, energy is 1688
    At 1000 yards drop is -265.05, energy is 847 ft-lbs.

There are more efficient bullets available in factory ammo for both the 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. I used the Nosler Partition because it?s a popular big game bullet around here. The data shows the 7mm Rem Mag has less drop and more energy than the 30-06 in both examples at 500 and 100 yards. Interpret that how you like. If you?d like to compare different bullets post the speed and ballistic coefficient and yardage you?d like to compare and I?ll run them for you.

3. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

This is an interesting debate, but let's face it, the OP said he's hunting... "field deer, elk, moose, etc.".

He said NOTHING about trying to shoot any of that game at 1000 yds, so what's the friggin' issue?

Besides, IF anyone is going to try to shoot that game at 1000 yds, or over 400 for that matter, they really ought to be jumping up to a 300 WSM, 338 Lapua, or a .50 Barrett, or some such long-distance proven load... right??? :yes

So it comes down to - most likely - shooting "field deer, elk, or moose" at 300 yds or less since most guys can't even hit a 12" pie plate at that distance, much less trying to stretch it out from there. That means it's a "Chevy or Ford" argument... and which one has local parts availability at the lowest price for equal quality.

IMHO, that puts me back on the 30-06 as the ammo is cheaper for the same brand and bullet quality, is readily available as much or more so than the 7RM, and hurts less to shoot well.

OP... good luck on your choice and happy shooting! :tu

4. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I'll shoot with anyone with their 7mm all day long and perform on par with my 06. Shooting comes down to practice, knowing your loads and being proficient behind the rifle. If you suck shooting 22s your gonna suck shooting a kicker.
    Choose either caliber, learn the weapon and the load and YOUR CAPABILITIES!
    And don't shoot beyond that. I know an outfitter that has shot bout everything with a .243 when it comes to NA game animals. Rifle knowledge and bullet placement.

Doug

5. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I use the 160 acubonds in 7mm rem mag,. speed 2980FPs and the BC is 0.611. i found the best accuracy with this bullet compared to the swift A frame 160 i used to hunt with.

6. nazar83

nazar83 Banned

I think if you move into the 308 ars and other calibers other than 556 with dpms are pricey. The sportical is a stripped down version and the oracle in my opinion is an entry level rifle

7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

'Flatter' shooting, is often way overrated or over-considered, at least when it comes to game inside 400 yards. JMO, but belts shouldn't be inflicted on any good bullet, just to burn more powder, either. Having said that, I have a love/hate, for the '06: it's greatness at almost anything, stifles my desires to be different, with almost everything. I have all sorts of 7s, 30s, 6s, 35s, etc.....but the 30-06 will do (at least passably), what all the others will..... 'magnum' -itis be danged.

8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I only have one rifle, a Rem 700 in 30-06. I was fortunate to hunt in South Africa several times, my question there to them about the best caliber up to taking a bull kudu, the answer was always 30-06. I shot plenty of game up to kudu size and the 30-06 was more than up to the task. Of course I only had one "long" shot, and that was 150 meters. For anything larger the answer was usually the .475 calilber. Here I have only hunted feral pigs with the 30-06 and it has killed every one cleanly, again the distances usually 125 meters or less.

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, error on previous post. I meant a .375 for bigger game NOT .475.:D

10. quack0905

quack0905 Elite Refuge Member

The Nikon Monarch is a great scope, and they're not inexpensive either - the two that I own have BDC's and retailed for $400 about 6-7 years ago . Also own Leupold VXIII scopes and they are very nice, too.