rifle recommendation?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by pintailwizard, Feb 6, 2012.

1. pintailwizard

pintailwizard Elite Refuge Member

Headed to SoDak next summer {'13} and a group of us are gonna take a couple of days to hunt prairie dogs [and maybe a yote or two]. Will need a new rifle to take with me. The ranchers have given us the green light to shoot all we want.

Right now I'm thinking of getting an AR with some long distance upgrades, as the gun can then be used more when I get back home.

Other option is a Savage 12 varmint in either 223 or 204. Concern about 204 is the gun won't get used for much else, with 223 the kids could use it for deer.

Does anybody shoot these with bigger calibers? I certainly want to have as many as I can, but the budget may only allow one gun.

Optics recommendations? Seems like the best for the bolt gun would be 10x 40 mil/mil from Bushnell, if I don't go with the 223. For 223, there are many options with pre-compensated .223 , but I still think I'd like the above scope.

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Go with what you have....Both will work great with the 223 as the top dog:nutz because the ammo is the cheaper of the two and I understand you will need 500 rounds a day min.:eek:

3. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

I vote for the .223 as well. Accurate, cheap ammo, and mine is lightweight for carrying. Savage in my experience have been pretty heavy (weight of actual gun).

4. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Budget?
    How many rounds you planning on shooting out there?
    What distances?

If you are shooting Pdogs at 800 yards and wish to knock down the curious coyote that eyes you up from a grand, you'll need a different rig then if you were shooting at 300 and under.

If you will be shooting a lot, you'll probably look at a different round than if you are only throwing a few hundred rounds down the tube.

Do you re-load?
    Do you have a capable rangefinder, seems to be common knowledge that you can take the number value on the rangefinder and divide it by 2 to get the number that will actually pick up a deer. I.E. a leupold rx 1000 may range a mirror at 1000, a tree at 700, and a deer at 500 in ideal conditions.

A prairie dog is small, so buying quality equipment for accurate ranges is a must. But again, this is dependent on ranges you will shoot.

5. pintailwizard

Budget under $1500 total for rifle, optics, rings, bipod, etc.

No idea about distance. We'll have 5 or 6 guns probably divided into two groups. We're completely in the dark as none of us have done this before. We're going on a mission trip to help with some church construction and the the ranchers at both likely locations have given us the green light. Will be summer so we won't be tempted to bust anything with horns.

Laser rangefinder is already on staff, as well as 3 pretty good spotting scopes and some nice binocs.

Daily round count even less of a clue. Don't know if it will be 20 or 2000. Well, probably not 2,000 as I'll run out of $ before then. Don't reload, and probably won't. Will pick up brass to give to a buddy who does.

I know there will be a pair of .204s and at least one other .223. One known 22-250.

6. pintailwizard

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Rifle:
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/dpm...ck-anodized-black-teflon-finish-p-115628.html

$1200

Optics:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

$200

Rings/bipods

$100

So it might be closer to $1750 by the time it's done.

Then when I get home side mount for generic holosight.

Unlikely I'll be involved in CQB so a shorter gun won't be necessary. We'll be driving to within a short walk, so carry weight is not as big deal.

7. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

I know where you can get just about the same rifle for $700.
    10 power scope NO...get a 4x10 or a 4x14 power scope or you will kick yourself later.
    I know...I've been down that road.:doh:doh:mad:

Do you have a AR15 lower now??

8. MACHINE

MACHINE Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a REM 700 VSSF SF 22-250 that have been blueprinted ,

6.5 by 20 Leupold

52 gr Sierra HPBT match

34 gr Varget

I had several 600 yard kills

OH WHAT FUN

9. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Your best bet may be remmy's 5R in 223, they are known tack drivers, absolutely stellar reviews, you could even go with the 20" barrel for a handier gun for the younguns.

If you want more reach, say, a 500 yote, go with a 243, however, fast shooting and long shot strings will burn up a barrel.

Summer is hot, that doesn't help, you'll want a heavy barrel to keep consistency.

My opinion; 300& under on yotes, however far you wish to shoot at pdogs= Remington 5r in 223.
    Over 300 on yotes, sky's the limit on pdogs, savage long range precision, and all 3 caliber offered would be excellent, but 243 may be your huckleberry. This has a big fluted bull barrel to help keep poi consistent when hot, it is also fluted, helps dissipate heat. Has the target accutrigger which adjusts down to ounces.

Both rifles sit in hs precision stocks to keep the barrels floated, I'm shooting a buddies 22-250AI sitting in one of these stocks and it is nice, light as well. Stock pack helps if you need a higher cheek weld, so would a karstens cheek piece.

If you miss, you won't be able to blame the gun.
    Side note: federal is coming out with a gold medal match round for the 260rem using 142 gr. Smk's, a long range precision in 260 shooting these may just make you the envy of everyone there. Sterling reputation as a long range caliber, watch everyone drool as you make hits to a grand, well, assuming you practice.:sp

10. pintailwizard

I don't have a lower [had a nice AR years ago but got rid of it:doh]

Shot the savage LRP and loved it.

Hadn't really thought of the 243. Now I've got one more thing to consider....

Keep em coming and Thanks...

BTW, why not on the 10X. Too small field of view?