rifle recommendation?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by pintailwizard, Feb 6, 2012.

1. pintailwizard

pintailwizard Elite Refuge Member

Picked up rifle tonight. :grvn

Optics ordered from MidwayUSA af few minutes ago.

Now to boresight and get running.

Bought some 55 and 62 to see what flies best. Will post pics when I get it all together.

2. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

Look at the Black Hills "bluebox" ammo and Ultramax ammo for your rifle. They are reasonable in price and you can usually find a load that will shoot well. I would stick to the Vmax or Ballistic tip ammo. A LOT of the cheap "hollow point" ammo that is out there WILL NOT expand reliably and will richoet all over the country.

I would also STRONGLY suggest a 20 round magazine as MAX. A brass catcher is a MUST also or you will spend a LOT of time on the ground on your hands and knees chasing brass.

I like something in the 6-20 power in optics. Buy Quality optics because you will be looking threw the scope for HOURS! Cheap optics will give you a POUNDING headach after using them for hours on end!

thanks
    longshot

3. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Tell us what you got and why?

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

We hunt SD and MT every year for pD's- all of us have used 223(cheap ammo) and 22-250's- heavier bullets go better in wind-17- 2-4 ok for play-last year one guy brought his AR's I was surprised at how well they worked in .223 me I take 2- 22/250's and one 223- also a .243 to get set for speed goats later-

5. pintailwizard

Here's what I ended up with:
    Bushmater Varmint .223 24" SS HBar bbl, 1 in 9, free floated, 2 stage trigger. Decided on this platform due to the minister of finance and the kids wanting to shoot with me. If I upgrade to the adjustable stock, it gives us all good options to shoot. Found this gun on sale for $900.

.223 due to availability of ammo, low recoil, lower cost/round. Have a good 270 for anything else we'll shoot this side of the Mississippi.

Burris PEPR base/rings

Millet 6X14 50 with 30 mm tube. Good reviews on Midway for the $. Would like to have had the LEO Mark AR in 6x18, but wanted to save the $200. Will be plenty for what we're gonna do. If we get serious I could add better optics later. To get to higher X the scope became bigger than the gun! At 300 the dogs will be just over 1 mil on 16X, if my calculations are correct, so they will be small, may have to go with accuracy by volume.;)

I've thoroughly cleaned, fired 3, cleaned, fired 3, cleaned and fired 6. Doubtful about the whole "break-in" thing, but with no more time than I've had, it was good to feel the trigger. Today before I headed to work, group seems pretty good (~2"), with about 4 vertical clicks, and 8 horizontal clics to dial. Will boresight next then move out to 100.

Question: how much adjustment is "normal" on a flat top? Base in not QD.

Once boresighted, gonna see how the 55 and 62 group and decide on weight. Then I'll fully dial. Get some of the good stuff and dope out to 300. Unfortuneately gotta go to a different range to get beyond 100.

6. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Sounds good- have fun and enjoy!

7. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I agree on the "good stuff" theory for accuracy because if you spend all that money on a rig and gas to get there, the last thing you want to do is a bunch of missing because you decided to shoot cheap ammo.

I think if you stick in the 50-55 grain range that you will not be disappointed.

From past experience with AR's, Black Hills Blue Box is a great way to go.

8. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

+one there.:yes

9. butcher s.

butcher s. Senior Refuge Member

For optics, check out www opticplanet.com. If they have a sale going on you will be hard pressed to beat the prices. I have bought 2 Leupold Vari x 3's from them and save maybe 35% from the other guys. Their shipping is free after so much. It wont hurt to check them out. The mounts are also cheaper for the Leupolds by as much as 5 to $10.00, depending on what you want.

10. pintailwizard

Today @ 100, grouped justed over 1" (1.125") with 5, using 55 grain Hornady "training" ammo. The 62 grain flew at about 3", so I'm done with that. Will also try some 52 and 50, when I get a chance. Gonna be tough to get much further as I don't have access any time soon to a longer distance range.

Any idea how much you should be able to trust the ballistics calculations charts. I know I need to check my scope for clicks/moa and actually dope the rifle, and will, but I wanted to know how much off I can expect to be?