Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Rifle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cubacheski, Oct 15, 2006.

1. cubacheski

cubacheski Senior Refuge Member

Sorry for another question. I am new (3 years) to hunting and like my last question.. I have a 45-70 that I have used for hog and am now looking to get a rifle for Deer and an Elk hunt once in a while.... but mainly Deer. I went to a hunting store here locally today and the man suggested that I get a 270. He said a 300, 308 or a 30-06 would work but for Oklahoma might be too much. Said that you can easily hunt Deer and Elk with a 270 and would be a good choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

2. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I can tell you from my personal experiences with elk and both the .270 and .30-06. Other members here can say whatever they want but this is my actual experience and is real life situations. Those two guns have accounted for more wounded and lost elk where we hunt then probably most other calibers combined. They work good for deer but honestly appear to fall short when it comes to elk sized game. If you want a gun that would do both I would go with a 7mm Mag, 7mm WSM, .308 Win, .300WSM, .300 Win Mag. Something along those lines. Of course if you can't put the bullet where it needs to be it doesn't matter what you shoot however all of those calibers listed above will do the job.

3. jbdnew

jbdnew Senior Refuge Member

A 270 should be fine for elk if you take high quality shots and use premium bullets. Like WaterProof said, it does not matter what you shoot with if you can't hit. If I were buying a dedicated elk gun, it would be a 300 Win Mag or 338.

4. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

I got back from a guided elk hunt a couple weeks ago. I bumped off a 340 class 6 point with my 338 Magnum, using a handload built around the Hornady 225 grain Interbond. One shot through the shoulder at 240 yards dropped the big bull in his tracks. It was like watching a building fall, sort of slow motion.

After the kill, the guide told me for elk he likes his clients to use at least a 7MM Magnum but prefers 300 magnum class up to 338 Magnum, if like myself, the shooter can handle it well.

He advised that often times the 270, 06', ect, require several shots to anchor an elk. He also said that even with a good first hit the elk usually runs a substantial distance and often ends up in a spot which makes recovery more difficult. Bear in mind this is not my opinion, but that of an experienced guide.

When I saw how this bull was put together while skinning and butchering, the truth in Billy's words was evident. You just can't appreciate how an elk is put together until you see one up close. There were several inches of incredibly tough hide and muscle to penetrate before even reaching the ribcage. The shoulder bone/blade were massive. Because the bull was slightly quartering into me, my shot penetrated 2.5' or more of this tough package. I found the bullet intact under the off side hide and expanded like an ad picture. It's retained weight was 167 grains, or about 74% of it's original weight. It's obvious that a heavy, premium bullet is the way to go on elk.

However much I love it, the 338 Magnum is a great elk rifle but not really an all around medium game caliber. For an all around medium game rifle with a possibility for use on elk, I would look at the 7MM Magnum family. If it is going to see regular use on elk too, I would move up to the 300 Magnum family.

BTW, Waterproof has BTDT and knows of what he speaks...

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Elite Refuge Member

Hey Waterproof,
    Why didn't you throw the 308 in with the 270 and '06? I have yet to even go on an elk hunt, but I would think the '06 would be better than the 308? Just curious.

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Because in my actual life hunting experiences the .308 hasn't wounded as many as the other two. Now I was raised around shooting the short belted cartridges like the .243, .284, and .308. In my life I have shot more medium to big game animals with one of those three calibers then ALL the other calibers I have ever shot. I am not trying to sound like an elitist or expert and hope I don't come across that way. I know there are many people out there that have hunted way longer then me and killed way more animals. I have only been hunting those kind of animals for 24 years now so have plenty more to learn about them.

For what its worth I think the .284 is one of the best all around calibers EVER made and would easily fit the bill of what is being asked but is an unrealistic choice as the caliber never took off on its own and is tough to find nowadays with ammo being almost impossible to acquire without reloading.

7. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

I'd say to get a .300 WSM. There's plenty of ammo available for it, and all you'll ever need to do is select a different bullet design and/or grain weight based on what you're hunting. For deer, go with a 165-grain bonded bullet (interbond or accubond) and for elk, go with a 180- grain or 200-grain Nosler Partition.

My .300 WSM is the best shooter I have, and that's saying alot sitting next to a BPR and CZ-USA 550 which are both tack drivers. I have yet to put a load thru it which I haven't gotten a clover leaf with.

8. KS

KS Elite Refuge Member

What about the 270WSM? I have not heard many reports conerning this caliber.

9. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Here are the facts if you can't handle the kick of these 300+ guns I don't care what you do you won't shoot one accurately. My mother shot a .243 for years my wife has even shot one for a couple. I have seen 8 elk with that caliber shot and recovered easily. Who knows how many deer with it. But remember a good bullet and a good shot is a must. Now I will say its not the greatest but it will work. Now if I were you I would go with the .270 I have 3 guys I hunt with that shoot these. Again I have seen 8 elk killed with one shot from them and many deer. Another gun you can shoot is a 25-06 my wife, sister, and dad have killed 6 elk with them. I shoot a 30-06 and have killed elk at 450yrds with one shot with 165 grain bullets. Yes it fell in its tracks. Last year I shot a bull with it and it went 5 feet with it. I don't think we could haul all the deer and elk I have seen killed with a 30-06. If I were you I would buy the .270. Get a good bullet and get comfortable with it. Guys that have to shoot a .375 or a 338 have to shoot them because most can't make a good shot and need that big bullet to travel from the rear of the elk to the front. This allows them to shoot it at any angle they can. Remember and elk is only about 24 inches thick you don't need a canon to kill one. But for these big boys that think they need big guns I have also seen my dad shoot a bull moose with a 45-110 9 times behind the shoulder and it kept walking. Why? Because the bullets weren't expanding and just shooting through it. So pick a good bullet and go hunting. Don't get the Magnum crap. Unless your going to alaska to hunt browns or going to africa to shoot a water buffalo.

Good luck and buy the .270

10. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

Like said earlier, you need a 7MM Mag., or a 300 Win. Mag. I have both and like the 300 better, it was built to shoot big bullets like 180's and larger. Elk, need big bullets. Jim