Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Rifle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cubacheski, Oct 15, 2006.

1. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

2. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

I don't have a problem with the 7mm. But the .375 just isn't comfortable to me.:cry call me a sissy :rolleyes: but I won't shoot one again.

3. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

My favorite is the 7mm-08 and have taken quite a few animals with it. I would'nt be afraid to use it on elk within reason. At the time when I did go Elk hunting I had a 30-06 and used Federal Preamium with Nosler partitions in 180 grn. I also own a Weatherby 270 magnunum that I shoot as well. Out of all the belted magnums no one has mentioned the 270 wthby. Mag. What's your all's thoughts on this one?

Ruff

4. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

One thing that I haven't heard in this discussion is the effect of the bullets trajectory. One of the reasons that people like the .270 is that it is such a flat shooting gun. You don't have to hold "over" or under pretty much out to 300 yards. Dead on is dead.
    I have shot competitively since I was eight in a variety of events (mostly pistol) Yes, I could easily hit a target at 200 meters with 44 ruger, but I needed to know the drop at each distance. With a heart racing, just a few minutes to decide shoot or sneak closer, judge wind, and only three years of hunting experience? Better bet on a gun that you can hold in one place and kill.
    That being said: i would suggest the 300wsm. Shoots flat. Has the power for a deer easily, definately to 400 yards for an elk. A ton of bullets and factory loads to choose from to find what shoots well. the WSM has kick but not as bad as a 338. AND you can pick up a great shooter for around 600 bucks: Tikka, weatherby vanguard especially. (though buying a savage and putting 150 to accurize it is another great buy)
    I plan on trying a 300wsm with barnes x bullets on an elk in the next two weeks (never hit an animal with the barnes x)

5. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

My buddy has 270 weatherby and loves it. Wacks everything from deer to moose . but he handloads, and if you don't handload, it doesn't seem to have the availability of factory loads

6. wigeonmeister

If you don't handload, Weatherby magnums could be a problem. Their factory ammo is rather expensive, and it is a big part of why I have never bought anything they put out.

Their calibers shoot extremely well, but the cost involved is too high for me.

7. ansas

ansas Elite Refuge Member

Weatherby ammo from 240 to 300 runs $40-$60 a box.

So you use most of a box to sight in. Now you load 4. Mostly you don't need all 4. So you get maybe 5 or 6 animals out of a box. Not so expensive.:fp

8. wigeonmeister

And if you shoot as much as I tend to, $40-60/box adds up rather quickly.:fp :cool: :fp

9. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Man you guys are just kids.

[​IMG]
    I am a fair bit bigger then either of you. The gentleman in the picture with me is 5'9" if that gives you a comparison on me. I absolutely LOVE shooting the magnums. Little fellars like you Swamp are the ones that usually cry about the recoil but if you would have stopped and actually read from the beginning the poster never ONCE mentioned concern for recoil. I have shot up to a
    .338RUM and that had some juice with it when it came to recoil I will admit. Just because a gun or caliber is too much for you to handle doesn't mean that it is a bad gun or caliber for those of us that can shoot it.

10. L-I-B-MRDUCKS

L-I-B-MRDUCKS Senior Refuge Member

Well there you have it. As the real he hunters have stated rifle cartridges start with the 300wssm which is only marginally better than the 30-06ai. If you shoot anything less than that you are a sissy and probably a maladroit dolt. Bullets fired from lesser calibers only bounce off elk hide. On the other hand a hit anywhere on a deer or elk will kill instantly from the magnums. They die out of sheer respect if nothing else.