Rifles for turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by beav, Dec 20, 2003.

1. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

It's actually legal in a number of states to turkey hunt with a rifle!

I've gotten one with a .22 magnum and my father got one with a 22 Hornet about 2-3 years ago.

I'm told that the old 25-20 lever action was a hugely popular tukey rifle back in the day.

I will tell you that they don't flop around after they've been shot with a rifle. They fall down graveyard dead.

I'm just curious if anybody else uses them and what calibers they use.

2. OutaShells

OutaShells Elite Refuge Member

What challenge would that be? I have a 17 hmr that would drop one at about 200 yards, but to me the challenge is to get them in as close as you can.

3. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

A 17 HMR is not ethical for turkey or anything else at 200yds.

If you noticed, the calibers I mentioned are close-in - 22 mag, 22 Hornet. In fact, Remington recommends a 50-yard zero for the 25-20. You still need to get them in close. I would argue that a bullet is more lethal than a bunch of shot. Don't knock it till you try it.

My question still stands. Anybody else have experience with rifles and turkey?

4. Longtom

Longtom Elite Refuge Member

Sounds pretty d@mn dangerous to me...........:(

5. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

Less dangerous than being in the woods with deer hunters with LARGE CALIBER rifles.

Here again, I'm talking about ballistically skimpy calibers at targets closer-in than you apparently realize. I don't know about where you all live, but you can't see in the woods more than 50-60 yards because the undergrowth is so thick. Plus, they're too wary to let you even get close enough to take a 200 yd shot across a field

6. OutaShells

OutaShells Elite Refuge Member

I'm talking about ballistically skimpy calibers

The 17HMR is a better round than the 22mag. The accuracy is better due to the lighter bullet. Less wind drift and flatter shooting. It has a higher velocity from start to finish. They designed the 17HMR to have the same punch as the 22mag.
    Same punch, higher speed and better accuracy = better overall.

If you cant get close enough for a 200 yard shot, how do you get them in for a 50-60 yard shot?

7. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

Uh-huh. But neither are sufficient for the 200 yd shot you say you can make.

Do you know what the wind drift in a 10mph cross wind would be for a 17hmr at 200 yds?
    How many ft-lbs would it deliver at 200 yds?

You can look them up, but I'll tell you: plenty and not ethically enough for anything the size of a turkey. If you say you could do it at 50-75, I'd be less skeptical.

Typically we get against a tree, get real still and yelp, cluck, purr, or do a kee-kee. Same as you all, I'm sure.
    My point is the 200 yard shot you say you can make will never present itself. You can't see that far in the woods and it's not likely that one can sneak them feeding out in the middle of a field before they high-tail it out of there.

8. Im4dux

Im4dux Senior Refuge Member

Rifles for turkey's = lazy turkey hunter, crappy sportsman and poor caller........PERIOD.. Quote that Jacko.

9. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

You're full of that stuff we have in barnyards. Quote that.

How many times do I have to tell you chuckleheads that the distances w/rifles are virtually the same as shotguns?

If you don't like it, don't do it. But don't criticize what you obviously know nothing about. The game departments of more than few states disagree with you.

Sheesh!!! :rolleyes:

10. Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter Elite Refuge Member

About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23 people)
    I hunted around Ladysmith for years. It's thick alright. When I saw a turkey, it was usually within .12 gauge skeet range.:D