Rifles for turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by beav, Dec 20, 2003.

1. BamaBuckshot

BamaBuckshot Elite Refuge Member

dgallow,

I guess I should have said I would limit my killing range to about 20 yards using a handgun with open sights. I was more or less talking about taking a head shot. I just like to get them close and be comfortable with my shot.

Maybe one of these days I'll leave the shotgun at home and try a handgun.

2. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

Why put it through the head when you can put it through the chest? I tell ya what those feathers may stop BB's but they dont stand a chance against a .22 round....

WB

3. BamaBuckshot

WB,

It's personal preference for me to take a head shot. I want to either kill them right away or miss completely. IMO, taking a body shot you stand more of a chance of crippling it than you do taking a head shot. I haven't shot at a tom with anything other than a shotgun. But if I did, thats how I would do it.

4. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

Just for the record that wasnt an attack on how someone hunts... it was merely an inquiry as to where you can shoot them with a .22. I know with a bow a turkey is done if you put it through the chest. But then agian they have an arrow stuck in them so im sure that adds to the situation.

WB

5. BamaBuckshot

WB,

I didn't take that as an attack. I was just explaining how I would do it. I'm sure that there is some people on here that would disagree with me.

6. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Senior Refuge Member

I darn near fell outta my chair!!!!:l :l :l

7. Gringopistolero

Gringopistolero Elite Refuge Member

Gotta add my nickels worth. I've killed quite a few turks and do a little guiding for them. The real experts who bow and rifle them (I don't do either one) either head shoot them or shoot them at the top of the leg. Now on the rifles, the guys I know who shoot turkeys with them use deer rifle calibers, .243 and up. That provides the cleanest kill and the least wasted meat.

I don't rifle them cause it doesn't look like much fun and I respect the birds a lot. Calling them to shotgun range floats my boat. But I'm not a total purist, either. I've killed some with a shotgun a long way away. I'm just simply not willing to put the time and money into becoming a good bowhunter and I wouldn't do it unless I did. Despite what all bowhunters say, 1 in ten should be out hunting game with a bow and arrow. The rest leave crippled **** running all over the ranch. You better be an EXPERT, be EXTREMELY conservative on your shots, and be a GOOD blood trailer to shoot a deer, not to mention a turkey, with a bow.

I simply don't see any advantage to a small bore (.22 rimfire/17) rifle over a big shotun shooting big loads. To hit vitals and anchor a bird over 50 yards you need a higher performing round that doesn't get squirrely in a breeze. I'm sure a .222 or 22.250 would work fine but I wouldn't go with less for the simple reason that out to 55 yards or so with a specialty choke and premium turkey loads you do better with a shotgun.

8. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    [​IMG]

RIFLES FOR TUKEYS..........BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Either shotgun or bow......I prefer a bow.....:cool:

Joe

9. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    A LIVE TURKEY SHOOT..............

[​IMG]