Rifles for turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by beav, Dec 20, 2003.

1. yuk

yuk Guest

.........................Your allowed to use a rifle. The season starts the first week of November and the woods are quite bare. Rifles prove to by very effective, since the season is only in three counties and all of which are mountains. Your able to take a longer shot and effectively kill birds out as far as you feel comfortable. Any 22 caliber rifle will do, and some smaller deer calibers. Shoot the middle, base of the neck and you shouldn't waste any meat. Finally got something to hunt with that AR15, .223 !!!

2. SuperNova

SuperNova Elite Refuge Member

Never tried it, but I don't think it would be much of a challenge. You can walk up within rifle range of a turkey. Heck, I have walked up within shotgun range of turkeys several times. Presonally I would never do it.

3. yuk

yuk Guest

............you walked up on turkey, you may have jumped them up.
    Rifle'n for those birds in the fall is quite hard. Since the spring spred out vocal allowing you to pinpoint them, during the winter they are flocked up, some as large as 50 + and they are not as vocal. Usually soft clucks and putts, with very few yelps and noneif any gobbling. If your not on that flock you may never see a bird. Takes alot of scouting and knowledge of the woods. With no cover them birds can see you from another ridge well before you see them. Glad everyone thinks it's a joke, less jokers I have to deal with.

4. SuperNova

I live in MI. MIchigan is the only place where turkey's were extinct, the successfully re-introduced with game stock. So it is proven by biologist's that most MI turkeys are not as inteligent. I have to scare them out of my garage a few times a summer. And yes, I have walked up on turkeys soooo many times. Not jumped them. Usually when I am deer scouting I will come across some. Most of the time I can't get within 60yrds, but I got within 30-40. They just walk away clucking, unless you put too much pressure on them, then they'll run. :)

5. SuperNova

Typo

6. SuperNova

There is cover, and there are no ridges around me. (it isn't Idaho)

7. SuperNova

Beav, I am not criticizing your way of hunting turkeys. It may be harder where you are from, but where I am from, I don't think there is one turkey that I couldn't walk within 200 yrds of, and knock over with my 22-250. It just wouldn't be challenging.

8. yuk

yuk Guest

.............Where talking about the black turkeys not the white ones. Just kidd'n. But it would be very hard to walk up on WILD birds. Since their hearing is as good if not better than their eye sight. :)

9. SuperNova

That is true, but people get 200 yrds from pronghorn all the time and they have eyesight equivilent to 8x binoculars and the is no cover. Are turkey's senses more accute then a pronghorn. :)

10. SuperNova

P.S. Michigan birds are wild, they just originate from gamestock. And not the white ones, a cross between domestic and whatever inhabits pennslyvania.:D ;)

Although now in certain parts of MI there are merriams and easterns. That is cool. Too bad they are not near me.