Rifles for turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by beav, Dec 20, 2003.

1. yuk

yuk Guest

..........there' not that many predators than can catch a pronghorn, they also know their safe distance. Everything from hawks to bear try to eat turkey. I believe michigan also has Oceolas as well.

2. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

I have killed a lot of turkeys with rifles. Most were head shots inside 100 yrds and a few chest shots at 100-150 yrds.

My favorite turkey calibers are as follows..
    22 hornet
    22k hornet
    218 bee
    22-250

I read some bashing of the .17 for turkeys, but inside 100yrds I wouldn't hesitate hunting with one. Take a bar of soap out to the 100yrd line and shoot it with a .17. Imagine that as a turkey's head....... I wouldn't attempt anything beyond 100yrds though.

Quote:
    "I'm sure a .222 or 22.250 would work fine but I wouldn't go with less for the simple reason that out to 55 yards or so with a specialty choke and premium turkey loads you do better with a shotgun."

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my opinion, anything larger than the calibers you mentioned are overkill. You really don't need a deer caliber rifle to kill a turkey. As with anything, it's about shot placement. By limiting yourself to headshots you make it a bit more challenging than mowing a bird down with 3.5" super duper loads and the latest long range choke tube.

Hell, alot of turkey hunter's mount a scope or red dot on their shotguns. It wouldn't suprise me a bit if those same folks were bashing rifle hunters. That'd be something....

250yrd shots?? That's a no brainer, anything larger than a 416 Rigby will sufice. It's just about the right mix of power and lead for a clean turkey kill. :p

With all that said, most of the turkeys I've killed have been with a shot gun or bow. I find it no harder to kill a turkey at 20 yrds or less with a bow or shotgun than I do at 100yrds or less with a rifle. Maybe I'm weird.....

Hey Super Nova,
    If your ever down this way shoot me a PM. I'd love to put you on a Texas Rio! Bring your 22-250 and you 8x pronghorn eyed binoculars; you'll need em'.:nutz

3. SuperNova

SuperNova Elite Refuge Member

I might have to take you up on that;) :nutz

4. SuperNova

SuperNova Elite Refuge Member

Very valid point, the Turks in MI just aren't too bright I guess.:)

P.S. Yuk, where you from?

5. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

Mr. Yuk, sorry to disappoint you but as a forester working in the woods everyday I have walked up on turkeys numerous times. I usually will walk up on a couple every spring strutting while I am cruising timber. I usually will just stand there and watch em. I can say that I have only walked up on a couple while hunting though. Maybe previous calling has alerted them.

6. yuk

yuk Guest

Curious to everyone's outcome this spring and looking forward to hearing everyone's results.:)

7. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

Man i think people give turkey's wayyyyyyyyy more credit than they deserve. The opening day they are probably the dumbest animal out there. If they arent lookin for danger (ie. opening day) they are easy, probably the easiest, animal to call in. To really get a buck going u have to be a good caller and know what to do with it and when to use it. Not like the people who just grunt to make the thing stop cause it doesnt know whats going on! lol...., i think its funny when i see thsoe people. They think all a buck does is a normal grunt.... they dont knwo ab out like tending grunts and the like 5 other grunts they do........

wb

8. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

Since you mentioned grunting, I'd be willing to bet that 100% of the sucess or failure of the grunt tube depends solely upon the hunting pressure your area gets.

I don't care what time of the year it is , how much rut they are in, if you know how to properly, grunt, wheeze, snort, rattle, fawn bleet, doe bleet, cluck, purr,drum, yelp, kee kee run, or if you know what a tending grunt or the other 5 grunting sounds are. If they are pressured, they will not respond the way you think or hope they should. Neither will turkeys on pressured land.....

9. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

I may not know the names of all of them but i definitly know how to do them. But i disagree. If you know how to use it the birds and deer respond no matter how much pressure there is. Its all up to the caller. Trust me a rutting buck is not going to ignore a doe in heat if he really thinks its a doe...... just like a gobbler wont ignore a hen........

WB

10. IZZY-SANE

IZZY-SANE Senior Refuge Member

I tend to agree with Misfire on this one. I've not only seen pressured gobblers ignore really good calling, but i've seen them ignore real hens. I also agree that turkeys are not very bright, but their ability to continue to survive with everyhting in the woods trying to eat them speaks volumes about their survival instincts. As for walking up on turkeys,i've done this several times, but never during turkey season on public land. We can't use rifles for turkeys here, but if i lived in a state where it was legal, i'd sure give it a try. Bows,shotguns, rifles and pistols, as long as it's legal and done ethically (sp?) I say go for it.