Rio Blue Steel Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by goosebuster13, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I remember.

2. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I've been shooting the 12ga stuff for a couple years and really like it. It does gum up my SX3 after a hunt, but other than that the performance is great. The 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 pattern excellent through my Inv+ barrels.

I bought a case of the 20ga #4 over the weekend and shot it yesterday. Results:
    26" Benelli Nova
    180/194 avg @ 33 yards, factory mod
    160/194 avg @ 38 yards, factory mod

The patterns looked very usable. Compared to the blue box federals, it's printing about the same percentage. And those loads in #4 have done very well for me in the past.

The Rios have the same wad as those blue box federals, and what looks like an Xpert hull. And they have a good bit more recoil than the 1300fps federals. The wads also showed deeper pellet setback indentions too.

3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I had hull separation with some Rios I tried, recoil was rather high, but they hammered em.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I bought a few cases a year or two ago. never again!
    They smoked like hell and smelled like a black powder gun every time I shot them, and they never got wet. I had the whole hulls shoot clean off the brass, and other times I had the brass split.
    I burned through them shooting crippled divers in the bay.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Ultrashocks are better. I shot two cases of Rio's about 5 or 6 years ago. They were fine, but were loaded extremely hot. They would pattern inconsistently and I started noticing that the crimps were blown off the end of the shell. Thought it was my extractor or something so let a few other guys shoot them and the same thing happened in their guns.

6. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

No experience with them in 12 ga, but in both of my 20's the 3" 1oz #4's or #5's are my go to. Great duck killers, seem to be pretty clean (both are gas guns), overall seem to be a good shell to me!

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Pellets get stuck in the wads. These are 3.5" 1 9/16oz BBBs. It was cool seeing the wad go behind the goose on the first shot. Kind of like a tracer. Then I was able to correct on the second shot and hit my second goose. On the first goose. Same thing but I hit on the third shot.

I have had the same thing happen with 3.5" 1 3/8oz BBs but I've had the wad go through the goose's head at 45yards and I've also have found a couple wads inside of geese. Also, I shot at a goose over calm water once and I notice the wad traveled over 100 yards. I could see the wad and pattern of pellets hit the water.

I really haven't notice any difference in pattern with the stuck pellets. A few year ago I patterned the BBs at 70 paces and notice a wad size hole through the target on one of the shots .

IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Pellets getting stuck in the bottom of the wad is not the worst thing but it can cause wad tumble and as you noticed wads traveling a lot further than they should, sometimes it leads to erratic patterning. Basically nothing you can do about it with factory ammo it's the quality of the wads used or the lack there of.
    Most who load their own put a small wool felt disk on the bottom of the wad to prevent this, you get full release 100% of the time that way.

9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Hmmm, I'd like to see a picture of a wad that went through a goose head at 45 yards:rolleyes:

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I have had two wads go through a goose, two get stuck in a goose and one through the head. Did not take a picture of the one with a hole in it's head but here is one in the body.

IMG_0261.PNG