Rio Blue Steel Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by goosebuster13, Aug 2, 2017.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Had that happen at 25 yards but never 45 yards, if the wad has that much energy due to stuck pellets at that range then it becomes dangerous. I've tested hundreds of steel loads, wad release and drop off should come at no more than 30 -35 yards even with the heaviest loads, hopefully you have nothing down range of where your shooting.

2. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Browning BXD thru the cylinder choke can put the wad thru 3/8 plywood at 50 yards.

There is little to no pellet release in this setup. 10-15 pellets on the paper and the rest still in the wad I'd imagine.

Deadly for ducks that land short... Kinda like a cut ringer shell.

3. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Rogers started selling Rio Blue Steel and sent me an ad for that today.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

That does amaze me, I can make shells up to 1750 fps that will give full release no matter what you shoot them through and the factories make modified slug loads and charge a premium for it :doh

5. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

When I look at that wad, I'm not surprised.

With the components they use, and the amount of shot they use, if they'd stick a normal wad in there it'd be a load worth paying for. They ruined a fine load by trying to get fancy.

6. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

By chance, did you run these over a chronograph?

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

In reality, would a chrono reading matter? Tested in the Summer, on a dry day, they might show 1450 (the 3" 1 1/4 round is advertised at 1400). In the Winter, in the rain, it might be pushing 1350. Either is fine.

I like shells rated at 1400-1450, max payload available. I got some 3" 20ga Remingtons (Not Nitro Steel) that I think were rated at 1350. I had been shooting Kents 7/8oz, rated at 1550fps, so I was a little worried. Pffffft. Zero difference in the results. Were I to by the Kents again, I would go with the 1oz at 1300fps. I always like more pellets.

I am waiting for the Remington Nitro Steel 20ga's to go on sale/with the rebate. I think it was about $109 a case, free shipping, last year,and those are 1oz loads advertised at 1400fps. I believe those are the best of both worlds, speed and payload. At least, in the 20ga. I'll pick up 6 flats this time, instead of 1, and be done buying shells for my lifetime.

8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Native NV,
    here's a blog I wrote on "Best Commercial 20ga loads" which you might like, looking at loads from a CONSEP and pattern count analysis (penetration and density). The final answer is actually aligned with your thoughts, but 1oz Rio #3 at 1400 is it.
    https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/best-20ga-commercial-duck-loads/

I know you (and actually a lot of guys here on the fuge) are #4 steel guys in the 20ga. In general I'm not, but I do pay attention to such field reports (when ranges are documented etc.) and if you like #4 then my answer is the Rem Nitro Steel #4 at 1450fps.

BillyBob and you have me partway convinced, enough I tried #4 last year in 1-1/8oz 12ga loads... only 4 duck-datapoints (mallards) taken with it, but I had to take 2nd cripple shot on 3 of them at 32-37 yd laser ranged shots. Side to rear though... so not optimal presentations. Some surface bruising and low-penetration pellets upon cleaning inspection too. But my river is only 45 yds wide so the ranges can be accurately said. And my skeet breaks with 7/8oz loads aren't always as solid as the guy next to me shooting 1/2oz .410... so my opinion is still fluid, based mainly on the vocal support you and BillyBob keep pushing on #4 success.

In any case, whether you like #3 or #4 steel, I listed all the loads available and general range/pattern numbers to help you decide between commercial variants of your favorite size.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have NOTHING bad to say about 3's. Have said many times, if I could only pick one shot size, it would be 3's. If I shot a 12ga, it would probably be a lot more 3's anyway. It also comes down to how a guy hunts. I have very little pressure, I can work the birds, and I am old enough I don't worry about numbers as much. 4 birds is 2 meals, and that is worth it, meat wise.

I read the article. Very good stuff. I would argue, in a personal discussion, that the 4's should be listed as <35 yards, instead of <30, but, on paper, you are right. Experience tells me different, and I have no problem with them out to 40 yards, but I think you are correct (for the article) to say <30. I can't get people (not you) to understand on the incoming, or pure crosser shots, that head/neck is a bigger, and easier, target. Even the spine, on a flushing or up-flaring shot is exposed and needs much less energy to work. 40 more pellets in the 1oz pattern is a LOT. Odds of the head/neck hit go WAY up, even if the heart/lungs could be taken away because of lack of energy.

BUT, that is personal experience. Paper patterns and gel penetration are things you can quantify, and serve a good basis for papers such as yours. There is not a thing I read there that was 'wrong'.

Sort of like the argument between an O/U vs an automatic. I only get two shots, but my chokes are tailored for how those shots usually lay out (first close, 2nd further). The auto guy gets to point out he has an extra shot, and that does pay off if the birds are allowed to work close before he raises up. So, we are both right about our choices. (I win though, when I mention my gun never jams!!!) :dv:clap

10. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

Yes it would. I've chono'd Heavy Steel which claimed 1400fps and barely broke 1300fps. I've also Chrono'd Kent Fasteel which claimed 1550fps and delivered every bit plus some.

And before you say otherwise, yes it does make a difference to a duck. :)