Rio vs. Kent vs. Federal SpeedShok

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, May 10, 2018.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

All shells 12 gauge 3”, 3’s, 1 1/8oz and 1550fps. What’s your choice of these? Feds and Rio’s are same price at Rogers.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have used them all, bought based on price. If they are all the same price, I would probably buy the Federals. For no particular reason.

One caveat on the Rio's. I bought a case (he paid) for my friend, the 1 1/5oz loads. Warlocks, I think they were called. Anyway, he had problems with the rims giving way on his Winchester pump (old model). Now, the chamber could have been cruddy, though he takes very good care of his guns. The rims might have been part of a bad lot. I shoot a lot of Rio's, hunting and clays, but I shoot an O/U. I traded out his case for a case of Federals I bought. This was on a Canada trip, so we had to make a change..

Fiocci Rim 2.JPG

3. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

11/5 warlocks are Fiochi loads I believe.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Feds are the dirtiest shells you can buy but have good patterns. IMO Kents are over priced junk, poor patterns, misfires and the least waterproof. No experience with the Rios. Wait for other brands to go on sale.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You are absolutely correct. Sorry bout that.

As to dirty shells, I shoot an O/U, so I never care about that.

6. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

....and I shoot an old Auto 5 magnum. Though not as resistant to dirty powder residue as a pump or an O/U, it’s much less finicky about cleanliness than a gas gun.

7. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

I shot a lot of Rio 3" 1-1/8 when I was shooting a 12 ga. They worked well for me, no problems at all. I preferred them to the Kents and Speed Shok. Don't shoot Rios in the 20 as they are 1oz at 1400fps. Like that 1500 -1550fps area.

Sunklands likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Not arguing here, but I thought the same thing. Then I tried some Remington loads that were listed at 1350fps. No difference between them and the fast Kents I had been shooting. Now I can get the Rem's at 1400fps, and the full 1oz. I really like them.

Shoot what you like, and what you believe in. Not trying to change your mind.

9. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

I hear ya NV. It's probably a mental thing with me. I tried a case of Hevi steel 20 ga 3s at 1400 fps and couldn't kill anything with them. My son shoots Hevi Metal 20s at 1350 fps and loves them. I think its probably what we have confidence in works the best.

10. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Pretty much run fasteel exclusively in my gun. Patterns nice and even. I've had 1 failure to fire in the last 5-6 years I've been exclusively using Kent's. Seems I had less cripples than with the feds as well but maybe that part was mental.