Ripe smelling dog

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by likesbigspreads, Nov 8, 2017.

1. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

My house dog that gets to hunt everyday with me is starting to smell a little ripe, I usually never give her a bath during the season to try and not wash off her natural oil. Someone told me that years ago, is that the right thing to do. The wife is starting to complain and my little hunting partner is getting no love in the house. What do you guys do during the season to keep your house dog from smelling like a mixture of mud and wet dog?

2. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

You could try hanging an air freshener from her collar. Just kiddin, a bath or staying outside are the only options I'm aware of.

3. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Wonder if the bath and oil thing is an old wives tale? I am thinking she might just get a bath and deal with the consequences.

4. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Not sure, I've always heard the same thing. I give my dog a bath occasionally during the season when he gets real funky, I've never noticed any issues. I do use a neoprene vest on him (except when I forget it). I think that makes a big difference.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I bath my dogs regularly during hunting season, but they stay indoors. No problems with cold temps. We are out regularly with the dogs in -20C weather, walked every day down to -40C with them as well. If you are worried about loss of oils, you can get conditioner spray from the vet to replace some of the oils in the coat. As to the smell that emanates from the dog after eating beef jerky and sausage in the blind, there is nothing you can do to hide that smell.

6. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

Bath that dog. Happy wife, happy life.
    As long as you use a gentle soap (J&J baby shampoo or dawn dish soap) you wont wash off all the oils. I keep a bottle of dawn in the truck during season. When needed I'll lather mine up and throw a few fun bumpers at the boat ramp to get him washed off.

7. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Have never bathed my dog.

I swim her regularly every Sunday, she dries out in the field, smells sweet like the grass, sleeps in our bed.

3ds

8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

"Smells ripe" doesn't tell me much.
    It might be your food
    It might be a bacterial infection
    It might be a yeast infection
    It might be rancid skin oils
    It might be a lot of things............
    Without knowing the cause, you can't know the treatment.

9. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Dawn is far from gentle. Think greasy dishes and crude oil covered ducks.

10. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

This stuff is kinda expensive but for only needing to actually wash a dog a few times a year, it works very good and worth the price. My last golden retriever rolled in some rotten carp carcasses. The first month after several washings with "dog" shampoo, he still reeked. I'm not sure why I had that Aveda shampoo in my possession but I tried it and the stink vanished instantly.

https://m.aveda.com/product/5290/16...YgQodVUkKqQ&gclsrc=ds#/shade/8.5_fl_oz/250_ml