River access and usage: Why it's sometimes an issue

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by National Rivers, Mar 15, 2014.

1. National Rivers

National Rivers New Member

Why is river access and river usage an issue, and what can you do to help solve it? This blog starts the discussion, feel free to join in! This is the main reason why NOR (National Organization for Rivers) exists.
    http://www.nationalrivers.org/why-are-public-rights-on-rivers-an-issue.html

Cheers!

Also, we have a question for you:

To what degree does the NOR website answer your river law and access questions?

A. Completely
    B. Mostly
    C. Partially
    D. Not really (please share with us how we can change it)

Thanks for your feedback!

2. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Over 1700 views and no replies. Either these people don?t believe what you?re saying or they have private access to waters that they don?t want people to know that are public. Judging from the comments I have received I tend to think the later. Your new website looks great, due to the lack of updating on the old one I had thought your group had folded. Glad you didn?t. One question I have is what ruling by the SCOTUS gives us the right to use privately owned stream that do not meet the commerce test. In over twenty years of research I have not found any ruling that allows any use other than navigation. I have found plenty of rulings that say hunting and fishing are not navigation. Also you caution against going to court. The threat of lawsuits and court fights is the only way state laws will get changed. As long as state laws are on the books landowners will use them to block the use of our public rivers. If one is confronted on a river that meets the federal test that a state denies navigability on. One usually is offered two choices, leave and never return or here?s your ticket for trespassing. If one does not fight it everyone loses as this allows the stream to remain closed. Your example of civil rights exemplifies this as the only way the states were made to change their laws was by threat of federal lawsuits.

3. montana bound

montana bound Senior Refuge Member

Waterways are the same as roadways and at no time should anyone ever be able to stop a person from useing them.

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Put your money where your mouth is. Go hunt the Neosho. When they ticket you take it to the supreme court. Until then quit running your mouth.

5. gadwall52

ok that, you have just lost your right to bitch about the lack of public hunting in Kansas. you are part of the problem. the fact is that the Neosho and eighteen other streams in Kansas have been determined navigable. the Neosho leaves Kansas and becomes the grand in Oklahoma which is navigable.if I lived on the Missouri side of Kansas you bet I'd fight for my rights to the Neosho right now I'm fighting the deer leasers for my rights to the ark. so what are you a jerk of a landowner or someone afraid he might have to share his honeyhole

6. gadwall52

you see Vanessa this is what you are up against. short sighted people that don't want to listen and learn. and are trying to selfishly protect what they perceive to be all theirs.

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Neither. Don't hunt the Neosho or own and land. All you do is run your mouth about how you know the law and its wrong. Well put your money where your mouth is and prove it or shut up. Pretty simple. If you are so sure lets see you put it to the test, or are you going to wait to see if someone else will do it for you.