Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

River otter any suggestions on mount

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by cholt, Dec 4, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

5EA60973-3FE2-420F-A341-01CCC2512AD8.jpeg Swam up in decoys this morning always wanted one mounted now to decide how I want to mount it

2. waldo2382

waldo2382 Refuge Member

I have one in a swimming pose. I can’t find a pic of it. But if the face is done right is awesome.

3. cholt

I have been looking and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have it swimming thinking about having it trying to catch a fish or something

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

my brother has trapped dozen of otters on his ground. has one mounted floating on its back holding a mussel shell. He also has a small brace of pelts hanging from an antique wagon singletree that is even better.

5. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Chase after a small fish would be cool!! I would highly recommend it in some sort of action pose.

6. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

Beautiful otter! Did you shoot that? I know down south there are alot of otters, but here in WI we can only harvest them by trapping. You need to draw a tag and you can only take one. It's on my bucket list for sure. I agree with an action pose. I have seen a coffee table mount with glass on all sides that depicted an underwater scene of an otter chasing fish. It was gorgeous but must have cost a fortune.

7. cholt

Yes on the river duck hunting there were four of them

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

so, what do you do, only set one trap?

We set 10 traps at my brother's place, and caught 6 otters, 3 beavers, and a muskrat in one set.

We caught a few of them at my buddies place this year ( as well as several beavers, and several muskrats).

9. cholt

We have them in just about every body of water here

10. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

If you have a tag you can make multiple sets targeting otter but once you have tagged out you would just go back to doing what you can to avoid incidental catches. We don't have as many up here as they have further south, and especially in the south east, but incidental catches do happen. Basically if you catch one by accident you are required to release it if alive, if dead you have to leave it in the trap and call the DNR.

Last year the quota for WI was under 2000, there about 9000 permits issued. The 20 year average success rate for otter in WI is about 21%.