RNT Born On Series

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by greentrout, May 8, 2018.

1. greentrout

greentrout New Member

I'm looking at adding a new call and I've seriously been considering the RNT Microhen. But I don't really care for the looks of it at all. I much prefer the shape of the Born On series. Has anyone blown the Born On series? Is it comparable to the Micro? Thanks

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Not always safe to think what "was" still "is" with RNT's call models, but the Born On at least used to have something of a little cult following among hunters, so I tried one maybe 10 or 12 years back and locked it up so tight with my normal air presentation that the stopper liked to popped. Wasn't for me, as I don't want to have to think much about changing air presentation between calls.

The first year Microhen's, however, were exactly what I was hoping the Born On might be: an inherently quieter but still very versatile call that I could run interchangeably with my MVP without thought or issue. Fine little call I carried and sometimes used for several season. Unfortunately from my vantage, they then chocked it to an inherently even quieter and less versatile call that I can't jump on like i could the original version when the situation merits.

They may well have changed one or the other again, but were I wishing to buy another call as quiet as my second generation Microhen, it would be the New Old Style that the first generation Microhen replaced on my lanyard. (Said old favorite first generation Microhen, btw, has since been fitted with a much more appealing to my eye NOS barrel.)

3. greentrout

greentrout New Member

I know this all too well. My primary call is an early 2000s model Short Barrel. Right before the time they "improved" it. I've been torn between adding either an MVP or a Microhen. Since we see a lot of gray ducks where I hunt, I was leaning more towards the Microhen. But the redesigned Microhen does not sound like a call that appeals to me. Thanks

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Of the RNTs I've owned, the Daisy Cutter does the most accurate gray, drake or hen.