RNT Lil Richie vs Short Barrel vs Timbre

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by blkduck, Sep 29, 2017.

1. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have all three that they can compare the differences?

2. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

No experience with the Lil Richie, but I've owned several short barrels and timbres. I'm going out of the more popular line and saying the timbre was my favorite of the two. I ran an old daisy cutter in acrylic and a timbre in hedge for years. Never a complaint or problem out of either. The timbre is inherently a lower volume call than the short barrel. They early short barrels actually had pretty decent volume. I think the short barrels had more range of sounds and tone, but just never really had enough to make we want to drop my daisy cutter. The timbre just complimented the daisy cutter very well and I loved the just pure duck tones that the timbre offered. Sorry to ramble so much. Just my experience.

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

pretty accurate. the timbre is more hoarse sounding, and deeper sounding. DC, and short barrels are pretty close to the same, as is the Diablo. Never heard of a richie. I have given a micro hen, but didn't rally care for it,..... it is light weight , and I use it on my whistle lanyard for training my hounds.

Greenhead Rocker likes this.
  4. bullpinnie

I usually have a DC, SB, or Old Style on my lanyard, and an alpha 2 or primos timber acrylic....of course, I prefer the "high, and lonesome" sound.

Greenhead Rocker likes this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Getting off topic, but I think the first year Microhen was a great call - then, as with some others, they "improved" it to death.

Getting back on topic, that's the great rub with comparing RNTs. In this case, much depends on when the SB was made. Early ones were very different than Timbres, but at least some of the later ones "not so much".

(Don't know pecans about the Lil Richie.)

callinfowl and Greenhead Rocker like this.
  6. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

Thanks. I have a short barrel now and saw the Lil Richie was a new call this year that is also a timber call. I am trying to decided between that and a Timbre.

7. Greenhead Rocker

I'm going to venture a guess, since they just did the 40th Timbre and it's following since they took it out of the line has been pretty good, that the Lil Richie is a semi replacement for the Timbre. I doubt it'll be super similar to the Timbre in tone, but will "fit the niche", for the softer quieter call in the line up, outside of the Old Style. The Timbre was a very powerful and demanding call in it's abilities...just at a lower volume. If you like to command ducks with aggressive feed and cadences, then the Timbre was a good call...at least for me it was. That's why I carried it so much and for so long. It paired with what could possibly be RNTs most aggressive call ever, the old Daisy Cutters, allowed me to stay on the ducks the entire time, just at different volume levels. The Daisy Cutter could get down low too, but the Timbre just added a little something different to change it up if need be. Those are two calls that I wish I'd never gotten rid of. Just wanted to try something else for while. Big mistake on my part...haha.

bullpinnie likes this.
  8. Greenhead Rocker

Great point Rick, in your statement above.

9. bullpinnie

I don't think the SB are low volume at all ( except maybe, compared to an MVP). Same with Echo Timber. I can blow either of those calls plenty loud. I prefer the controls of the SB, or DC. Timbre was a great call too. Similar control, but it sounded completely different from the SB...so you could switch back and for the, and could like different ducks.

10. cupnglide

cupnglide Senior Refuge Member

Haven't had a chance to try a Lil Ritchie. But I've owned a few SBs and Timbres. I always thought of the SB as having a "clean hen" or "neat hen" sound. Those calls have a great natural sound, especially the old ones and the 40th anniversary version. It's a meat and potatoes call for rice field guides.

The Timbre is just like GR described it. It's aggressive and raspy top to bottom. It is a fast call. It has a commanding tone, despite the lower volume. Great call on cloudy days, too.

If you get that Lil Ritchie, post up your impressions.