RNT Lil Richie vs Short Barrel vs Timbre

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by blkduck, Sep 29, 2017.

1. okduckswatter

okduckswatter Refuge Member

Rick hall that cracks me up. yes the first and second year micro hens were a neat call/cool concept. but that was what has occurred with alot of rich n tones lineup. they aren't anywhere as good as they were 10 or 12 yrs ago

choc24/7 and callinfowl like this.
  2. okduckswatter

okduckswatter Refuge Member

I've never thought any timbre held a candle to the old short barrels. you can pretty much do it all on an old shortbarrel

3. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

So I got a richie and a timbre. I also have an old short barrel. It is really similar range to the timbre but with a mellower tone, not as raspy or as much "clatter" as a timbre. Easier to run and less air than the timbre. the short barrel has more range to it and a "clean hen" as it was descirbed. the richie reminds me of the lower end of original old style they made a long time ago

4. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the input blk. I bought one at Mack’s today —- Lil Richie that is ——- I tried three until I got the one I wanted. It’s very dirty or gravel-ly. It reminds me of the 2007 Old Style that had more volume than recent editions with a little timbre in it. I told the sales guy I liked the old styles before they came out with the latest version and then he handed me a LR. I like it. Very easy to run but it requires air from the diaphragm to sound the way it should. You can’t cheat.

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Dickey is good at selling calls,.......... but not nearly as good as JW was. I can't tell you how many times I'd hear guys trying out a call that sounded mediocre at best, and old JW would be telling them how great they sounded on that particular call. guys would be smiling ear to ear when they walked out of macks with a new call.

......I should know. I was one of them:yes

Hugatree likes this.
  6. Hugatree

I just needed something quieter than a Daisy Cutter for late season. That LIl Richie is not a racehorse. Very raspy and suited to calling like my Dad and Grandfather did. It’s very gruff but like all RNT’s each call is different. That early sound Butch came up with that John has built upon is my definition of a close in call —— woods or marsh or rice field. I don’t call WITH ducks unless they are already looking. That’s me. I’m old school and it works for me. YMMV.

7. bullpinnie

I wasn't referring to you in my previous post.....it was more like I was reminiscing about standing at that call counter over the last 30 years.............. puts a smile on my face........Old JW was one of a kind! RIP!

Hugatree likes this.
  8. Hugatree

I don’t care if you were since many times I thought I was way better than I really was. I know my limitations with a duck call and act accordingly. I do a few things very good but I’ll never have the whole puzzle put together.

Yes I miss JW and am thankful you and I knew him when he was the oldest known active duck guide in the nation. I looked forward to talking to him every day after wading in the woods.

The arrogant types, I have learned to ignore. Mack’s is a part of Many of us. They’re not perfect but if it weren’t for them, McSwains and Fort Thompson, AR duck hunting would not be the same. I support all of them.

Rich-n-Tone may not be the best and I have had a call or two that were duds but for me, going in to have my calls tuned is a part of the experience. Say what you will, many would have quit after the fire. They actually turned it into a positive. Aside from that, once you find a call that works, they can bring it back when it gets out of tune. How many calls do you own that never sound the same after that first cork/reed change? I have a shoe box full of them.

9. Hugatree

I pulled it back out tonight. You don’t blow a Lil Richie. You just breathe from your diaphragm into it——-deep down. Just barely touching it with air makes a good quack. It really has a full, deep throaty, raspy tone.

10. bullpinnie

I like Macks, too. I hunted with JW several time over the year at Slicks. I also hunted with Dicky several times when he guiding at the Monsanto Farm. Both were great guys, and both men had an impact on my calling style. The first time I hunted with JW, I was a cocky young kid that thought I knew it all. My perspective changed that very day. I can't explain it, but let just say my cadence slowed down ( by a lot), and sometime pretty hard, and drawn out on the first note........ (and I was never quite as cocky, since).

I wish I had recordings of some of their calling ( and Bud too). They all made sounds on a duck call that I've never heard other people intentionally do.

Hugatree likes this.