Roast Duck

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by widgeon, Jan 17, 2018.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

My wife has never eaten wild duck. I have three fresh wood ducks that I'm going to cook Friday for her. I'm going to make it a fancy dinner so I need some fancy recipes.

Y'all got any good ones?

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

widg, not sure what a Wood Duck taste like since I have never shot one.:( Every Christmas I treat myself and buy a duck from Maple Leaf Farms from the grocery store. Love the Orange Sauce they have in the packets that comes with the duck but they won't sell the packets separately:mad: since I wanted to try that on my geese. Ya I can make my own but theirs are really good!!! Go to their website and they have great recipes for duck and for orange sauce. Bon appe'tit

widgeon likes this.
  3. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

You can always just put some grillmate applewood seasoning and sear the ducks skin on/ under hot coals? Medium rare. That's the only thing I do with my ducks, as I can't imagine it gets much better. Serve with yellow rice, asparagus, and some fancy salad :l

widgeon likes this.
  4. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Soak 'em in water till the water is clear when you change it.
    Slice in strips. Cook until rare with browned onions, water chesnuts,whatever. Then make:

1. Egg rolls or
    2. Spring rolls

Plenty of dipping sauce

Dassit :)

OneShotBandit and wanapasaki like this.
  5. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    What did you end up doing with them? :)

6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Was just going to ask widgeon the same thing!

7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I rubbed one down with oil and dusted it lightly with cajun seasoning, then put it on the smoker. It was actually the best, and easiest!

The other two I stuffed and roasted, using about two hundred dollars worth of ingredients. They were great too and my wife loved all of it!

The next day I used the legs and scraps and made duck tacos using those little street taco corn tortillas. The duck really stands up well to the salsa, onions, and cilantra.

Going back this weekend for the end of the season. Still covered up in wood ducks!

The day we shot our spot the first time, I missed the first twelve shots. I was shooting my twenty ga double .Obviously an ammunition problem, I loaded two three inch #6 heavishot. Th next duck I shot at of course was about 20 yds and I centered it. Looked like a feather pillow exploded!
    When I cleaned it, I stopped counting at 25 pellet holes in the breast! I thought it was wasted, but I filleted the breast out and through it on the wood fire grill that night with some venison steaks. They were delicious! Better than the ones I slaved over roasting.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    BirdJ, Luigi Daniele and wanapasaki like this.
  8. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

Good on you Widgeon. I think I would have lost my patience after the first 12 missesand thrown my gun in the water :l

widgeon likes this.
  9. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

My Grandmother cooked my ducks. She just plain roasted them in the oven. Have never been able to duplicate .

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Soak 'em in apple juice- not cider for 12-18 hours, stuff cavity w/apples then smoke them. I seen that on a cajun cooking show a hundred years ago, but he used mallards. Sure did look good! :yes

widgeon likes this.