Roasted a Piglet

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by California Flyway, Jun 22, 2018.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Celebrated a birthday, Fathers Day, and my buddies son graduating with a Masters in Enology.
    Forty pound Piglet roasted nicely at 275 over Oak, Madrone, Pecan, and Mesquite.
    Piglet roast went very well. Used 46 blocks to build roaster (note the blocks on the bottom turned to let air flow, one on each end). The cooker produced and held heat very well. Two T posts and hog wire panels sandwiched supported piglet so it could be easily turned for basting and inspecting. I brined the piglet overnite with 3/4 cup of salt per gallon of water with some star anise thrown in. I injected the thicker meat sections with a mixture of apple juice, white vinegar, and a little brown sugar. I brushed the piglet with olive oil a number of times using a Rosemary mop. I used and highly recommend those remote temp sender probes to relay meat and fire temps. Took the meat to 180 then wrapped in foil and rested before carving. Served with my Wifes Chapotle dressing coleslaw and fresh baked Cherry pie. How do we survive up here on the North coast?
    I made up a light mustard sauce using a recipe Fuge member "Whistle" posted as a guideline. It worked very well as I did not want a heavy catsup type for a Piglet.

Roxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup Yellow mustard
    1/4 cup onion finely minced
    2 cloves garlic pureed
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

I took these before pics but was too busy to take after. One of the kids took after but has not sent them to me.
    Meat came out great, very moist and tender. Folks dang near ate it all up. I grabbed some for sandwiches the next day. We drank a lot of good wine, mostly Syrah's from all over the State.
    The cooker was supposed to be temporary with the blocks to be used in my friends house construction. He like it so well it is staying in place as a party cooker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Looks great! I did one pretty much like that a few years ago. Worked great! just like yours with cinderblocks.

I was building a lawnmower shed at the time and had the redneck breakthrough idea of having a double gate made of chain link coated with aluminum. So when it's time to cook a pig, Just take off the gates, which were 3 ft x 4 ft, samich the pig in between them, then wire them together. Then the frame can be used to flipem.

Then clean it off and Walla! it's a gate again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Wow looks great. Simple, nothing fancy . The reason it came out so well was that you used hog wire. Cow fence would have had different effect. Sorry, I just couldnt resist. Hey tell that kid, no photo, no invite. Or that he will have the apple in his mouth next time. Ha

callinfowl and widgeon like this.
  4. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Looks like good times!

Star anise? :scratch

6. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Elite Refuge Member

I think we should have a moment of silence.

[​IMG]

Winnie the pooh just lost his best friend. :cry

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Nice touch with the obligatory apple. Redneck cookin' is more better.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

No pictures of it cooked?
    Haha, you burnt it didn't you?

TheDuckSlayer, JuvieCoot and 1911king like this.
  9. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Dogs got it.

TheDuckSlayer and callinfowl like this.
  10. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

This thread needed photos of the finished product...but I'm not gonna jam you too much because I want the Chipotle dressing recipe :yes