Rob Roberts?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by callinfowl, Feb 17, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

How many of you have used Rob to freshen up your SBE's ???
    How did it turn out ?
    Thanks.
    Dan

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Just sent mine off today. Hoping he brings it back to life!

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

Why do SBE's need to be freshened up? Not being snarky, I am just curious.

4. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro New Member

I have seen 3 M2's worked over by Rob. The function is good. We didn't see much change in the patterns over the "stock" M2's. And the cerakote scratches very very easily. I would not get that done if it was me.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. callinfowl

Mine developed a double feed or fail to feed problem after the first shot after several thousand rounds.
    I can't seem to figure it out, and I want to have a trigger job done on it and don't feel comfortable doing it myself. So I might send it in to have it freshened up, I heard good things about his work from a few guys that sent their guns to him. He checks every spring in the gun and all of the little keeper pins to make sure they are within spec's and only replaces things that need to be replaced from what I hear.
    For him to refresh the whole gun and do a trigger job and forcing cone job on it is well worth the cost in my O.P. I don't have any need for the slammer button or anything else, I just want my old gun gone through to make it shoot like new again. :tu

6. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

My gun was used when i bought it 22 years ago. I am lucky and get to hunt pretty much all of duck/goose season as well as make a trip to nodak every year. I am guessing that i have shot 100 cases of shells through it. i think it is just worn out? Tolerances are not quite as tight and things are starting to falfunction.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Time to trade it in .... inless it’s reasonable to rebuild.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

100 cases is really not that much for a shotgun. Never been a Benelli man but Beretta's you can buy new trigger groups, actions and I have replaced the action and trigger group. I probably have a couple hundred cases through it. I then rebuild the old ones and have spare. Doing that and changing springs every couple years keeps gun pretty fresh. With that said, getting the itch to buy a new 12 gauge.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

25,000 rounds through a shotgun is a blink of the eye in competitive world terms. The Beretta 390 series had the reputation for going 150,000-250,000 rounds before a rebuild.

Granted, you're probably using higher PSI loads than competition ones and that illustrates the destruction capacity acceleration of them, rendering most modern fowling pieces as nowhere near a legacy shotgun.

What we're observing at many gunshow events are buyers of older (pre-80's) shotguns with the common reason for purchase that they are simply, better quality.

I picked up a 1971 vintage 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge that still had 100% of the blueing on the magazine tube. From the set
    taken on the recoil pad it apparently had spent it's life in a gun safe. It's overall fit and finish quality is exponentially better than any current production Wingmaster.

IMO, instead of pouring money into rebuilding what's basically a throwaway shotgun, take that cash and find a Beretta 390 series. They are out there as ~7 months ago I latched onto a 390 Sport with <500 rounds through her.

10. callinfowl

Nah, I'll spend $200 to get another 18 years out of it.
    I have enough shotguns in the safe, most of them start with a B, Beretta's, Benelli's, and Browning's the other ones are old pre-1980's wing masters and 1100's. I enjoy shooting the SBE which is why I will put money into it to freshen up.
    Trap or skeet rounds don't mean squat to me to be honest, I can't stand breaking clays it's like watching paint dry to me.