Robert Parket

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by Goose Wacker, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Goose Wacker

Goose Wacker Senior Refuge Member

Over the years I have been a huge Robert Parker fan. Read all the Jessy Stone books. I am starting the last one now. I'm realy going to miss them. Anyone have any real good "who done it" books to recomend?

2. FWLTLK

FWLTLK Elite Refuge Member

Have read around a 4-5 Jesse Stone books by Parker, good reads!

3. DennyB

DennyB Elite Refuge Member

John Sanford and his "Prey" series.

4. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

The Prey series is very good. I think he has taken Lucas Davenport about as far as he can and am glad that he's developing Virgil Flowers as a spinoff. He's a little more unorthodox and irreverent which is more to my taste. Part of the appeal to the Prey series for me is the setting in MN/WI. It all became a lot more alive to me when he talked about stopping at Dow Corner at the intersection of CR A east of Hayward. Been there many years ago when fishing Teal Lake.

5. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

I have read all of the Jesse Stone series and nearly all of the Spenser books. I much prefer Spenser. The biggest problem I have with Parker is his books are rarely more than a two night read for me. Go way too fast.

6. Cooper

Cooper Senior Refuge Member

Try Greg Iles, most are set in the south, Natchez MS, and all good who done it reads.

Cooper

7. Goose Wacker

Goose Wacker Senior Refuge Member

I guess the reason I liked Parker's Jessy Stone charector so much is he has flawes. You know he drinks a little too much he is still in love with his exwife, the main reason he drinks too much, he talks to a shrink. He has a problem with authority.He is a guy that people (men) can relate to. He is not some super cop. He knows he has to make it in this small town because it is his last shot. I do agree they are a little to much of a quick read (1day) but I will miss the series. Having seen Tom Sellek play Jessy in the television version was great every time I would read a book I would visiualize Sellek as Jessy.
    I haven't read any of the new guys Jessy Stone books so I'm going to order one tonight.