Rock Dove/Pidgeon Hunt

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Creek Henry, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Outdoor Life 03/2012 has a simple write up on it. I've been wanting to do this for a long time so maybe I'll find a feedlot nearby and have a go. Supposedly, the farm fed ones taste pretty good. The city fed (IE: garbage can) ones supposedly don't.

Basically, anywhere you have feed lots, you'll have rock dove and, in Texas, they are varmints with no closed season or bag limits. I just need to find a place I can hunt them near north Dallas/Plano.

The writeup said a mojo Duck spinner really brings them in. That sounds odd but worth a try.

Has anyone hunting these boys? What's the 411?

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

when they came flying out of the end of a barn.:l

Back when I was in high school (a long time ago) that was great entertainment and pretty much everybody would let you blast them as long as there was no livestock close.

That was about the only time I ever had the plug out of my A-5.

Then, when they would come back, they would circle and do some weird stuff.

Fun shooting, especially the smart ones.

3. Creek Henry

Oh yeah... I could remove the plug before and after dove season! Interesting.

4. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

We use Mojo doves and some shell decoys I bought and also some rags that I made out of Tyvek.
    They decoy like ducks if you can find a field they are feeding in,lots of fun.

Greg

5. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

There's a guy in Lubbock(sponsor), I think Blackfoot, that guides folks.

Use a mojo dove and windsocks.

6. sculpin67

sculpin67 Senior Refuge Member

I just started hunting them this year. We normally get a couple volleys each hunt. As much fun as any type of hunting. We just used the dove mojo.

The same field has a ton of crows. I bought a few crow decoys this week, and will try them out tomorrow. As a BIG bonus, the farmer gave me written permission to hunt pigeons and crows --- and everything else till the end of 2012. We hunted his field on the last day of goose season, and were finished at 8:50. His also wants me to help on coyotes, if we see any. He's already taken one, and has seen them yards away from his cows, who will be dropping calves soon.

And the other bonus, he actually thanks us for shooting his pests, and my son and I are having a blast...

7. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

That's a nice setup sculpin. Have fun!

8. Diver Down

Diver Down Senior Refuge Member

Knutsons sells pigeon decoys, you should get a few, they work :tu. we have went thru cases of shells while shooting pigeons in the feedlots.

9. Creek Henry

How did you find the farm owner? Did you know him ahead of time? I'm thinking of just sending out a bunch of mail to some farmers/ranchers in the area that I used to live but most people have no clue about pidgeon hunting so it might be a hard sell to let a stranger on their property hunting non-game birds.

Thx,

10. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

We've even had a couple farmers out this way ask us to shoot them inside their barns. Pigeons are not well liked if they're roosting inside a hay barn.