Roof doors for pit blind?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Joey Clams, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Joey Clams

Joey Clams Senior Refuge Member

Gentlemen,
    Looking for some Ideas how to improve upon my buddy's pit blind. He did a great job building the pit, but a lousy job on the roof doors, which are only hinged along the middle, are way too heavy, and have to be flung all the way open 180 degrees before you can shoot.

I've heard of guys mounting their roof on garage door track, or having doors that drop in with the pull of a pin, but I'd like to here from those who actually hunt geese regularly how they do it. If you have any pictures, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Joe

2. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator Moderator

I have hunted out of flip open blinds and drop open as well, The last few years we have used sliders for our lids and they work great. make sure you have your grooves cut wide enough to account for swelling if the wood gets wet.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive used "sliders. Often you can stand up in the pit with landed geese and they wont spook right away.

Im still not happy with any door for my pits

4. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

The blind covers I had made for a NWR project was basically chain link gates, each supported on a corner with a "L" bracket and a pipe at a 90 degree that is inserted into a slightly larger pipe that is in the ground. The 2 blind covers overlay each other and swing away for the shot. Been shooting out of those blinds for @ 12 years without any problems.

5. gooseguy68

gooseguy68 Elite Refuge Member

got a pic :scratch:scratch

6. 10garem

10garem Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted out of pit blinds with swing out covers similar these in video and believe to be best I have ever hunted out of. (not blind in video)

For close to complete concealment using nature cover or white netting with snow cover & ease of use.
    Being able cover hole completly or leave open as needed. Close to undetectable when done right.

Several different ways and details for making swing out pit blind lids / covers

Just how much effort - time & work you want put into making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnzavBiXxeo&list=ULjnzavBiXxeo

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

Those look pretty cool

8. L.Berggren

L.Berggren Senior Refuge Member

I have posted on this subject before. We have gone through the dura cover, plywood throw off lids and cornstalk bundles and plywood sliding doors. For us canvas lids for each shooter works the best. Each shooter has 32" of space with each piece of canvas attached with a screw and fron and back of the opening. Hope this helps Lynn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

Chateau Relaxo.... Looks extremely comfortable

10. L.Berggren

L.Berggren Senior Refuge Member

Summerjack: When we hunt this pit we like to be comfortable. Some say we Huskers maybe go alittle bit over board!!!
    Gotta have a stove for cooking and ref to keep all the grub everyone seems to bring

[​IMG]
    Gotta have a big screen for when the Huskers are on the tube
    [​IMG]
    Compost toilet[Best addition for the 2012-2013 season]
    [​IMG]
    One of the more successful days last fall
    [​IMG]