Rookie ? - Planting Duck Food into Water

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by CamoHunter870, Dec 15, 2017.

1. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I currently have access to a roughly 200 yds by 80 yd marsh area that I cannot control the depth of water on but thinking about how I could attract more waterfowl to this area.

Is their a product that can be broadcast (by hand or back pack spreader) over the top of the water that would sink to the bottom and grow up to provide good food?

Water depth on this marsh depends on the amount of rain it receives. This year with a very dry summer, it had 6" to below knee deep water and had some great natural moist soil development in the shallow water. After receiving early fall rains, water depth increased to knee deep in most areas. It does have a control structure (not adjustable) so will not get over a depth of between knee and waist deep.

Thanks for any advice

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Permanent shallow water is about the hardest situation to deal with. Transplanting submerged aquatics is hit and miss. Coontail, naiad and sago pondweed are the more common plants to find in most areas. You could also try planting duck potato plants along the edges. Transplanting swamp smartweeds is easy to do. May take several years to establish good unless you are able to transplant a lot.

3. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info Clayton

Sounds like without getting water off the area it's an up hill battle so since I'm not the only one hunting the area, I'll just let mother nature do its thing. This year a nice portion of the marsh had what I believe is smartweed on it already because of the low water conditions.