Roosting Question...

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by The Old Taz, Sep 11, 2017.

1. LV2HNT

LV2HNT Refuge Member

how did ya make out on the opener?

2. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

The ducks were hard to pattern prior to the opener. Thursday night at dusk about 400 or 500 ducks left the impoundment. About 80% went elsewhere to roost and 20% roosted in the adjacent pond. This was very good. On Friday night the same number left but 80% roosted on the adjacent pond. We quickly but gently spooked them out. Most left but about 150 circled back and spent the night. I gently spooked them out just before legal shooting time on opening morning.

Soon after we were covered in mallards but most were very sketchy. Flocks of 100 to 200 would circle 6 or 7 time before a few would drop in. Every wood duck though would dive bomb right in. Luckily we had a couple smaller flocks work a little better as the morning pressed on.

We finished with our 18 ducks, mallards, wood ducks, a pintail and a black duck. We also got a goose and a few doves. Toughest opening day I've ever had here tough as far as non-committal birds. I'm sure the spooking of the ducks was a big factor in this but you gotta make a few mistakes to learn.

STL11 likes this.