Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Rotary Machines?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cliner, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

How effective do you truly believe they are? I have almost always traded hunts with people for snows and have never really had my own snow goose spread. I have a couple hundred silo socks but nothing crazy, always just enough to add to the spread so I could contribute in some way. Long story short, my family owns a field in a VERY high volume area for snow geese. A buddy and I are combining spreads to set up and leave out all season. We don't expect huge days or consistent success but an occasional 20-30 bird day between 4 guys is what we're after. He has several hundred silo-socks and an e-caller. Is it worth the effort and money to run a few rotary machines? Do they really add to the effectiveness of the spread? I don't know if it could be akin to mojos in duck hunting? I only use mojos 2-3 times per season anymore and I'm unsure if it even mattered the times I did.

TL;DR - Are rotary machines worth it when it comes to snow goose hunting?

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

IMO, no.

GK1 and Cliner like this.
  3. hayward1

hayward1 Refuge Member

Many juvies try to land on them in the fall. I don't see the adults trying to land on them but they don't flare off of it either.

4. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

In certain situations they're certainly effective. They've lost their effectiveness over the years since they came out though. But being the cost of one you'd be better off at this point adding more sound/decoys to your spread. Have everyone get a crappie pole and make a long extension flag with one of the T flags off flagman. 4 long flags up in the air will attract birds from a long ways off, and the best part is you control the movement. Have some shorter ones when birds are working.

Mojos are IMO only deadly when hunting corn, wouldn't hunt mallards in a field without one.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I'm glad you say that because I just ordered all the parts (a few modifications) off of your "stickied" thread on e-callers to make one. Might have to add in some more decoys as well. Being in their flight path, attracting them from long distances isn't as much as a concern as getting them to pay attention and get down. Like I said, I doubt I'll have a lot of success but it's just something to extend the season a little longer.

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Being under their flight path is key. The rest comes by trial/error. I'd much rather have birds over me all day increasing my odds than anything.

7. IAsnow goose

IAsnow goose Elite Refuge Member

Never used one and never will.

Realistic decoys, a good hide, a location under their flight path, and some natural sounds coming from the spread will present plenty of opportunity. All this extra stuff is a gimmick marketed to people with deep pockets.

8. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Absolutely a necessary part of every snow goose hunters arsenal! Time and place but very much needed IMO.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  9. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

We breakdown way more flocks with them than without. We are putting them further away from our hide than we used to. A real wing on an crappie pole with a foot of string works well.

10. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

It is rare that we don't run them. Don't use them maybe the first week of the season (mid February is when we usually set) but after that unless it is raining, snowing or blowing over 25 mph we are running two 4 arms and two 2 arms. We also do as Kaiser noted and often times put at least 2 of them spread out waaaaay down wind of us and then leave 2 towards the hide/kill hole along with many of our other fliers. We have found that with movement throughout the entire spread it seems to draw more birds. Still keep the majority of the movement toward the blind/hide. If a few birds land short of the hide they almost always jump ahead to the front of the feeding flock we have found.

By the way what starts as a casual "just want to kill a few birds" turns into an absolutely burning passion where you live, breathe and think about the birds 24/7. The next thing you know you have 2000 decoys, 7 ecallers, 13 rotaries and 10 guys that want to hunt with you every Spring. No lie!!!! It will happen Cliner………..count on it.

Give me a shout sometime this Spring Cliner and we will have a cocktail (or two) :)

Big Ches, msk and Cliner like this.