Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Rotary Machines?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cliner, Jan 25, 2017.

1. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Sounds too me that you might be in the 500-1000 range as far as decoys is concerned when you set up with your buddy. Depending on his e-caller and # of speakers, I'd add another e-caller first or perhaps more decoys as well. If you are happy with the sound and current #'s in your spread, than yes, I'd start to add some sort of movement to your spread.

In my experience, I've had hunts that I believe the motion of vortex's, flappers, etc have helped seal the deal on them coming in but also hunts that they haven't worked out well. That being said, it doesn't take much to put the arms or flappers down after a couple flocks don't finish. Read what the birds are doing, and adjust from there.

2. LuxuryHunter

LuxuryHunter Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I have been using them since we field tested the first 6 bird Flyright in 2012. Adds motion in the wind, and when there is no wind. Centers birds up, and gives our clients up close and personal shots.

I will continue to use them, as they continue to work for us. Good luck this spring guys.

3. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Another tool is all. Sometimes they work sometimes have zero effect. But nice to have options and like some guys here have said if they don't on that day it's quick to take em down

4. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

My list of people that I want out there gets shorter each season ;) Can't keep the battery charged in the phone for 60 days but when the end of December rolls around, that phone gets quiet!
    We'll get together, hell, we might be able to pass shoot em off my deck :dv

hannibal likes this.
  5. GOOSEMANRDK

GOOSEMANRDK Senior Refuge Member

I am still waiting for the 10guys that want to hunt with me every spring. I have everything else just not that. So, cause I am solo or with a very small group I save using the rotaries for no-wind days and later in the migration when the juvies are around more.

GK1 likes this.
  6. joecitrano

I like when guys beg you to take em . My first response is" you got a field ?" Which is always a no.you spend a bazillion hours workin on your gear , e callers, decoys etc not to mention the thousands of $you spend . I'm always like I got spots gear n guys what do you have to offer?

msk, Scotty and DaPutts like this.
  7. joecitrano

The ones who really want to go at least try to find a field n that's cool at least make an effort to contribute n I'll take em

DaPutts likes this.
  8. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

They stay at our place, hunt over our decoys on our property and leases. You wanna play you gotta pay had become my motto. I can't fund every friend that wants to hunt so now I have mandatory nominal daily cash contribution from every person that hunts with me regardless of what else they bring to the table. Almost every single one of them does not balk at it.

Just covering some of the expenses is all........not looking to make a dime!!!

Scotty likes this.
  9. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

I'm still new to this as well, but the biggest appeal to rotaries for me is it giving some motion on the no wind days... You only get so many days out there, I don't want to not go, or feel like I'm in dickland from the get go when there is no wind. I started with a 4 bird last year and I do feel it made a difference on the no wind hunts. Because of that added a 2 bird for this year. When you get away from the rig with rotaries running it really does look like birds bouncing around the rig.

Scotty likes this.
  10. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have a video from a drone to what a rotary looks like from above? Looking at one from our perspective may be a little misleading to what the birds are seeing. Just like fliers and flags.