Row Cleaners vs Coulters

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by GooseNukem, Sep 10, 2017.

1. GooseNukem

GooseNukem Refuge Member

I'm in the process of purchasing a JD 7000 4 row planter that is not currently set up for no till planting. I've been researching what coulters to add on the machine to make no till capable and ran across some threads where people used row cleaners as a substitute for the coulters. Also looked at some youtube videos where farmers were using row cleaners over coulters. Lot of mixed reviews on the threads though. Since marsh farmers encounter a little different conditions than regular farmers I thought Id ask if anyone on here has any input on this topic.

2. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

They do two different things, row cleaners run in front of the coulter and move debris out of the way of the coulter. The no till coulter actually cuts the ground to start opening the trench for the seed to be placed in the ground. You can plant no till without the row cleaners but would be hard to without the NT coulter. I have both on my planter and they work really well together, if the ground is worked up and clean you can wire up the row cleaners so they aren't disturbing the ground but I usually just run them the way they are on the planter.