Rules for hunting public land

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by mallard_murderer, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mallard_murderer

mallard_murderer Senior Refuge Member

Somewhere between Rainey Brake and Dave Donaldson
    Well since duck season is almost upon us and the OOS'er debates are starting to heat up, I just though I'd post some duck hunting "etiquette" (sp) while hunting public land in Arkieville. I'm sure most of ya'll are courteous fellas while in the duck woods, but I'm sure there are a few roaming around that may need a quick lesson. Also, if your an OOS'er coming to shoot OUR ducks, you might wanna print this out so you can refer back to it while your hunting, or better yet, just read it before you head into woods everyday. :dv If you follow these rules, I guarantee that you won't pi$$ near as many people while hunting. Ya'll feel free to add to the list if you want.

1) Do not follow another hunter to his hole and then setup 50 yards from him. You need to be a minimum of 100-200 yards away.

2) Do not wait till shooting hours to put your boat in and expect to find a decent place to hunt. If your too lazy to get in the woods before shooting hours then you don't need to be hunting period.

3) Do not drive through the middle of someone's spread after shooting hours has started, or better yet, don't do it at all. At some places this can't be helped though, just don't run over any decoys.

4) Do not shoot at someone else's swing ducks just because they aren't working "your" hole. Next time, do some better scouting.

5) Do not shoot at a duck with it's oxygen mask on cruising at 10000 feet. 99 times out of 100 YOU WILL NOT HIT HIT. Wait till they break through the treetops.

6) If you bring your dog, and it likes to bark at every woodpecker that flies by, leave it at the house or get it trained.

7) When you are leaving, do not walk/drive through or near anyones hole if they are working ducks. Wait till the wackage has ceased.

8) Do not park your rig in the middle of the boat launch and then get your crap ready to hunt. This is to be done before you back you rig up to the launch.

9) If you are hunting certain places like Dave Donaldson or Big Lake, and you value your health and/or the tires on your truck, you might not want to hunt a hole that has someone else's decoys or blind in it. That's the fastest way to tick off a local who has put there time, money, and effort into maintaining the hole. Although it may be "first come first serve" it still doesn't work like that yet, whether you like it or not. But if you wanna take your chances be my guest.

Now, I will be the first to say that not all OOS'ers don't know what they're doing when they get into the duck woods. And there are plenty of locals that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to duck hunting. So, if your a "newbie", an OOS'er, or both, be courteous to the people around you while in the woods. That way you won't cause me to pop a blood vessel in my head when I see ya. :D

M_M

2. skybroom

skybroom Elite Refuge Member

As a respectful OOS'r, I agree with all of the above. However, I would like to add to #5. If they're breaking through the treetops, let em come all the way down and park em when they're backpedaling.
    Listening to people yelling at the barking dog while chaising cripples that just broke through the trees is almost as bad as the rest of the list.
    Now...........

Can I hunt over your decoys at DD? :dv

3. Labman

Labman Elite Refuge Member

I agree with all of them. Even though I know it's truth, #9 really is such a joke. I used to hunt with a guy a few years back up at Big Lake who had one of those "private" blinds on public land. Hell, they bought and sold those things up there, and I never could figure out how they got away with it. I think the AGFC just turned a blind eye to it because it had been going on for generations. Mallard Murderer's right, though. I could see somebody getting shot for using somebody else's blind on public land at Big Lake, and I'm sure that's probably happened more than once up there.

4. huntnfish19

huntnfish19 Senior Refuge Member

great rules, same rules that i try to follow in the marsh. last year was my first arkie hunt. i hunted d.d. and black river. my grandpa has his summer home down there. so now that i found a hole in black river and its on my gps, is it ok for me to hunt there because there was decoys in the hole but they were so sun bleached that i actually picked some up to hunt and than put them back when i was done. one of the guys that typically hunts the hole actually asked me if he could join us. he had motor troubles and got out late. i said if you want to hunt with a few bad calling norhterners your more than welcome. its was good. i got to know some of the lay of the land. he gave me a few good tips. i found it really interesting how black river is flooded. that is an engineering marvel at its best. now why can't wi put that much time and energy into ducks. i hope to be back this year, probably after the new year.

5. blackjack dixie

blackjack dixie Senior Refuge Member

I am from Blytheville and maintain a couple of blinds with a buddy of mine that have been our family for a long time. Alot of tradition and memories on Big Lake. It is not that we don't mind letting others hunt with us or out of our blinds, but alot of OOS'ers do not have any respect when they come in.. We put alot of work into these areas and spend alot of time and money making it better hunting for everyone. Show some respect and understand tradition and blood goes along way; keep this in mind before you smart off or show a lack of repsect for the land or the blinds.

6. run-n-gun

run-n-gun Elite Refuge Member

addition to #6:

DON'T TRAIN YOUR DOG ON A WHISTLE !!

Nothin like working ducks only to be interrupted by a fag blowing a whistle to get his "dog's" attention. Leave the whistle at home! :fp

7. blackjack dixie

blackjack dixie Senior Refuge Member

What.. a whistle does not affect birds and it is better the yelling at your dog. Where did you get this one from???

8. Shedhead

Shedhead Elite Refuge Member

Dang, Next thing I know yall are gonna want me to turn my boom box down when I'm picking up decoys....
    No Water, No Ducks, No Cold, No Worries........
    SHED

9. Beanpole

Beanpole Senior Refuge Member

Be nice and polite to everyone you see at the boat launch. He just might be the one who pull you back to the ramp when you motor konks out. You might even need a tow yourself.

If something doesn't work your way, then go to Plan B.

10. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

#11 Don't set up on boat trails.......ever.

#12 Just cause you were in the hole the day before dosen't mean it's "yours"If you get there first thats ok,but don't be ****ed at me cause I got in line at the ramp before you

#13 Don't ride/wade around to see where us guys that know where to go are shooting and try to beat them there the next day.