Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Rumor Mill again about guide only

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KID CREOLE, Jan 25, 2011.

1. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys, especially those of you who live in Canada.

The rumor mill is going again about Alberta and Sask becoming guide only Provinces, I know this came up a few years ago and was shot down.

Any info or opinions on this?

Thanks and thanks for letting us freelance in your country!

2. Goosekiller

Goosekiller Senior Refuge Member

If this happens I won't go back, I know a lot of other hunters that won't go to Canada either. It will only hurt the Canadian tourist dollar. Hunters just aren't going to pay a guide money to hunt. The real sad thing is I've made some great friends in Canada and would really miss seeing them on an annual hunting trip.
    And on a side note all the land owners I know do not like guides.

3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Goosekiller, I agree 100%.

I'

4. bob clark

bob clark Senior Refuge Member

"And on a side note all the land owners I know do not like guides. "

Way too simple a statement-and simply not true. You might cut us a little respect that good guides who treat landowners well are highly thought of whereas some others are not. There is some thought as well that guided hunters will improve the ecomony-esp. Canadian Guides!

5. jcnelsn1

jcnelsn1 Senior Refuge Member

I'm the last guy to tell canadians what they can do. Canadians have every right to make whatever game laws they want. However, I would think most canadian hunters would be against this. This will only lead to increased commercialization to the detriment of not only american freelancers but canadian hunters also (e.g.,lack of access due to locking up land by guides). At least in sask where a guide can't pay for hunting rights, it seems such a law will only line the pockets of guides. I would hate to see this happen as I enjoy my annual trip across the border, which would certainly stop if I could not freelance.

6. bob clark

Yes I think I agree with you but US Guides have to leave and Leave NOW. Guides should be a choice but the benefits of that choice should flow to Canadians. As well landowners should benefit from hunters on their lands where they are guided-this will not meet with the support of resident hunters but why should we restrict the rights of property owners to make a living off their property!!!

7. jcnelsn1

jcnelsn1 Senior Refuge Member

I agree that prohibiting nonresident guides would be reasonable. Actually, I thought that was prohibited or restricted already. Obviously I like not paying for access (and would politely decline to pay and move on if asked), but from a property rights perspective it seems unfair a guide can make money from hunting a farmers land, but the farmer can't. A little backwards.

8. bob clark

We are reasonable men -why aren't there more like us?

9. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

I will chime in on this one...

I do not support guides only for waterfowl. Yes it will mean more land locked up by the dollar. As duck hunter numbers across Canada grow, yes they are slowly!!, there will be more hunters out and about seeking more land for duck hunting each year. We do not need more land tied up period.

The burning question is how do we keep the illegal guides/outfitters from setting up shop for 2 weeks or 3 or the entire season?
    Alberta has a non res alien 7 day stamp. But you can purchase more than one. One 7 day license would be a great start !!
    A 7 day alien licence would not deter the alien hunters, but would stop the majority of alien killers that come up for 2-3-4 weeks of the season. Maybe they have some friends coming up each week and so on. Of course its happening up here, probably all 3 provinces.

I would think 7 days of hunting would be enough up here for 4-6 quality hunts. Especially since the birds are so easy up here...right. Hunters could stay and visit old friends before and after the hunting days expire.

How many days do you guys stay in Canada for your fall trips?

10. papacharlie

papacharlie Senior Refuge Member

X2:fp